News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dazzle Camouflage

Started by PRC, August 24, 2009, 10:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

Came across this guys writeup on Dazzle Camouflage and thought I would share here.

Basically it's the camouflaging of ships, not to conceal against backdrop or water, but to obscure the ships true heading and direction.  Some of these designs are pretty out there:

ulmont

This smiley has rarely been more appropriate:

:bleeding:

Ed Anger

Old camo schemes were awesome. I loved the Japanese one where they painted gun turrets on the Zuiho's flight deck.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

And following the same thinking there was a brief period where infantry would go into battle wearing sequened ball gowns.
██████
██████
██████

saskganesh

Dada cloaking is great. Under obscure light, those must have had an effect.

humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

Quote from: Tyr on August 24, 2009, 10:37:21 AM
And following the same thinking there was a brief period where infantry would go into battle wearing bright red uniforms.
fixed.
humans were created in their own image

MadBurgerMaker

Pretty cool looking and all that, but........couldn't you just eyeball the wake to see which way the thing is headed?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 24, 2009, 01:20:48 PM
Pretty cool looking and all that, but........couldn't you just eyeball the wake to see which way the thing is headed?

There was just one thing wrong with the plan...It was bollocks.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Warspite

I guess that's hard for a periscope that's not got a great angle.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Barrister

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2009, 01:25:19 PM

Really?  I thought that the thinking was sound, but that any kind of camo became obsolete with the introduction of radar and sonor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PRC

The patterns also made it hard to get a good distance reading through a rangefinder - which is utilized by focusing two images until they overlap perfectly and then you have an accurate reading.  Later periscopes incorporated rangefinders as well and these ship paint patterns made getting that overlapping image through a rangefinder difficult.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on August 24, 2009, 01:52:51 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 24, 2009, 01:25:19 PM

Really?  I thought that the thinking was sound, but that any kind of camo became obsolete with the introduction of radar and sonor.

WWII radar and sonar wasn't really all that accurate for fire control until right towards the end of the war.

Malthus

Not a single dazzling urbanite in the thread.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Siege

MadBurgerMaker and MadImmortalMan have to be related to each other.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

KRonn

I guess there are a few reasons this camo was done, since I think I've seen a lot of ships painted up with some kind of camo. At sea I'd think there are many conditions where camo could at least make it harder to judge a target ship's course, type, speed, etc. Long distances,  poor visibility, viewed from a sub's periscope. As mentioned, determing course info and range finding. Does anyone know other reasons camo was used? Or how effective it actually was, or wasn't?