News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Going off to College

Started by Lettow77, August 23, 2009, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Its weird, I first came here in freshman year of high school. I'll be heading off to a tinyguts town (and the Kentucky border, caliga) for college this week.

I'll major in history, and go to law school afterwords. My schedule, still tenative, is

marksmanship
intermediate german
latin american history
world civilisations II (what a dinky class)
british literary tradition

A schedule conflict by 15 minutes conspired to keep me out of antebellum history, but that and civil war/reconstruction classes, as well as the other juicy history classes, can only avoid me so long. I start out at the rock bottom in terms of history, but i'll work my way up to things that are relevent. I am thinking about taking constitutional law and christian scripture as well.

Aaah, college!
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Tamas

PDH

Quote from: Tamas on August 23, 2009, 11:01:59 AM
marksmanship?  :huh:
In Hungary the class is listed as "Gypsy Hunting"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Faeelin

History is a poor choice for law school, IMO.

PDH

History is a poor choice for any career except one that has short sleeved button shirts and the saying "would you like fries with that?"
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Lettow77

I am aware that history cannot pay bills. However, law really needs no particular path. Business, english or philosophy, probably in that order, would al lbe better candidates than prelaw to go to law school.

I grew up in a law office, though, and slept on a wood floor answering phone calls rather than have a normal home. I have dealt with court extensively, and feel fine regarding law school. I have no anxieties about being a sufficient lawyer.

Tamas: Marksmanship is just a generic easy class to ward off against bad grades. Next semester, it will be archery.

Strix

No VMI or Citadel? You are a disgrace to your Southern ancestry.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on August 23, 2009, 11:20:44 AM
History is a poor choice for law school, IMO.

With hindsight, I wish I had studied history as my undergrad instead of geology.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 23, 2009, 11:22:57 AM
History is a poor choice for any career except one that has short sleeved button shirts and the saying "would you like fries with that?"

Barnes and Nobles always needs clerks.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Law school is a poor choice if one wishes to preserve one's eternal soul  :huh:

Lettow77

BB, you took geology? In that instance, I am even less worried about taking history.

I initially viewed it as a selfish decision, as I love history but it does not necesarily pay bills, but I am not too worried. In senior year i'll dabble in a few law oriented classes regardless.

Faeelin

Law schools see your entire transcript, BTW, not just the GPA. I don't know how they'd feel about taking a series of classes on archery and marksmanship if the rest of your GPA is weak.

Strix

Quote from: Faeelin on August 23, 2009, 12:10:44 PM
Law schools see your entire transcript, BTW, not just the GPA. I don't know how they'd feel about taking a series of classes on archery and marksmanship if the rest of your GPA is weak.

Some colleges require a number of PE courses, so I doubt the Law School would say much.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Josquius

If you need nothing special to study law under the American system then surely history is a good choice?
Its easy so you'll get decent grades and they certainly do count with law school.

And I second- marksmanship, wtf?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 23, 2009, 12:09:48 PM
BB, you took geology? In that instance, I am even less worried about taking history.

I initially viewed it as a selfish decision, as I love history but it does not necesarily pay bills, but I am not too worried. In senior year i'll dabble in a few law oriented classes regardless.

Well, Faeelin is right to question it though.

Ideally you want something that will tie in and help you in the practice of law, and something that shows some academic rigour.  Business undergrads can be helpful for lawschool.  Many science programs can be helpful (sadly, geology not so much).

Depending on the law school they will look at what kind of courses you took, and not just your GPA.  So you want to take courses that show you are a serious student, and not just studying basket-weaving.

I said that with hindsight I wish I'd taken history, because my geology has been of no use to me so I wish I'd studied something that I found more interesting.  That doesn't mean that history would be a good undergrad for law school.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.