News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Jews steal arab organs!

Started by Razgovory, August 23, 2009, 07:50:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 12:08:03 PM
Allegedly, the issue has gone to some sort of swedish constitutional committee ...

Quite. From what I've discerned so far, the social democratic party has filed a formal complaint to the constitutional committee against the ministry of foreign affairs over the ambassador's faux pas.

It's political manoeuvring as usual of course, but I can't help but feel good that for once they're actually doing the right thing, even if it's for the wrong reasons.  :P

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 12:08:03 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 11:47:21 AM

I think we've quite clearly established that it's not the job of the Swedish (or any) government to denounce individual journalists or papers for printing trash.

That is neither here nor there: the issue is that the Swedes are apparently claiming they can't denounce something like this. If this isn't true, it makes them look very foolish to have denounced the article then retracted. Allegedly, the issue has gone to some sort of swedish constitutional committee ...

A rogue ambassador who has been chastised is not "they". But I suspect you know this.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Cecil

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 24, 2009, 12:31:22 PM

I didn't read this story until after the Israeli government complained.  Was it in being picked up by other papers before that?

Ofc not. Stuff like this is sometimes printed by this rag to remind people they are a leftist mag and not only a gossip column. Remember that the left hates Israel by proxy since its involved with the great satan of the west or at least thats the general message one tends to pick up when you cut through all the bullshit. Anyho everyone pretty much ignored it per usual when the Israeli goverment started to beat on the big propaganda drum (for domestic consumption I guess) and the whole thing turned into a "OMG they are trying to take away our FREEDOM OF PRESS/SPEACH" thing. Ofc the rag in question loved this since it meant extra numbers sold. This is also when the other papers picked it up, how could they not since it had turned into a international incident. Somewhere along the line the ambassador in israel managed to make a fool of herself as well, dont care about the matter enough to find out exactly when.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 12:27:20 PM
Yes, technically speaking the ambassador is the voice of the government.  :rolleyes:

Why does that rate a "  :rolleyes: "?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 01:21:04 PM
Yes, technically speaking the ambassador is the voice of the government.  :rolleyes:

By the same token jews HAVE recently been discovered to be involved in organ trafficking. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

If you want to take the hair-splitting route.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 01:51:07 PM

By the same token jews HAVE recently been discovered to be involved in organ trafficking. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

See, this is why Jews are somewhat particular about the Blood Libel type conspiracy accusations. Confirmation bias.

It is like if some Gay guy happened to kill someone, and a year later some totally unrelated gay guy killed someone else, and the headlines scream "Gays Murder Again!". Yes it is sort of true, but the implication of commonality and conspiracy is totally - not.   :lol:

There is no "splitting hairs" with an ambassador - they are the countries' representative.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Norway has the Norwegian Press Association which does rule on complaints with regards to the Norwegian Ethical Code of Practice for the Press. If the Norwegian code of practice applies in Sweden the Israeli Embassy might apply to the equivalent Swedish body and complain on the grounds of lacking source material and a right of reply to accusations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on August 24, 2009, 02:03:09 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 01:51:07 PM

See, this is why Jews are somewhat particular about the Blood Libel type conspiracy accusations. Confirmation bias.

It is like if some Gay guy happened to kill someone, and a year later some totally unrelated gay guy killed someone else, and the headlines scream "Gays Murder Again!". Yes it is sort of true, but the implication of commonality and conspiracy is totally - not.   :lol:

There is no "splitting hairs" with an ambassador - they are the countries' representative.

Indeed. And the JEWISH ambassador did a better job representing ISRAEL than "her own" country for which she was chastised.

Only in the strictly theoretical and highly temporary sense was this the swedish government's position, and I don't see how it's relevant.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Warspite on August 24, 2009, 06:18:36 AM
In a Free Country(tm), actions over libellous statements should be pursued through the courts and justice system, rather than by the government, no?

In a Free Country(tm), actions over libellous statements should be pursued through the courts and justice system, which should ensure that in the most cases (including this one), such complaints are dismissed outright as inconsistent with a free society.

In a Decent Country(tm), a story running such as this should lead to a crushing popular backlash againt the publisher resulting in the Sheilbh solution of the writer and editor being canned and an apology + retraction being written.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 02:08:48 PM

Only in the strictly theoretical and highly temporary sense was this the swedish government's position, and I don't see how it's relevant.

Yes, but we won't hold your ignorance against you.  :P

Slargos

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 24, 2009, 02:11:32 PM
Quote from: Warspite on August 24, 2009, 06:18:36 AM
In a Free Country(tm), actions over libellous statements should be pursued through the courts and justice system, rather than by the government, no?

In a Free Country(tm), actions over libellous statements should be pursued through the courts and justice system, which should ensure that in the most cases (including this one), such complaints are dismissed outright as inconsistent with a free society.

In a Decent Country(tm), a story running such as this should lead to a crushing popular backlash againt the publisher resulting in the Sheilbh solution of the writer and editor being canned and an apology + retraction being written.

That is utter fucking bullshit.

In a Decent Country, the public should be free to make up their own minds about the paper, and the owners should be free to do fire the editor as they wish.

Did you know the paper in question is owned by a jewish family by the way?

I will admit that the fact that this is the country's largest paper is a damning indictment of the swedish population.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on August 24, 2009, 02:15:43 PM
In a Decent Country, the public should be free to make up their own minds about the paper, and the owners should be free to do fire the editor as they wish.

They are and everyone else in the world is free to judge them on the basis of how they (re)act.  Just as I have done.

QuoteDid you know the paper in question is owned by a jewish family by the way?

Everyone knows the self-haters are the worse anti-semites.  :)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson