News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

Started by jimmy olsen, August 20, 2009, 07:34:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Jaron on August 20, 2009, 06:27:14 PM
That is nonsense Wags. The English language is changing, being used in new ways, but its hardly being butchered anymore than our generation "butchered" it, or our parents. It just changes over time, adapts to new usage.

Being unable to spell basic shit or use proper grammar for an exam or college entry essay is kinda pathetic.
PDH!

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 20, 2009, 06:40:16 PM
That is nonsense Wags. The English language is changing, being used in new ways, but its hardly being butchered anymore than our generation "butchered" it, or our parents. It just changes over time, adapts to new usage.

Being unable to spell basic shit or use proper grammar for an exam or college entry essay is kinda pathetic.

Anyone reading books like this aren't the kids having trouble in English class.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2009, 07:03:47 PM

I think that is true only because the kids having trouble in English class can't read.
PDH!

Neil

You'd read a book like this.  So would Spellus.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 20, 2009, 07:31:20 PM

You'd read a book like this.  So would Spellus.
I got straight As in English.

Hell, I'll be teaching English this October.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 20, 2009, 07:45:24 PM
I got straight As in English.

Hell, I'll be teaching English this October.
And what does this demonstrate?  The American education system is a laughing stock.

Darth Wagtaros

Just what is a laughing stock? Its a curious turn of phrase.
PDH!

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 20, 2009, 08:26:50 PM
Maybe people got put in stocks and then got laughed at?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 07:58:12 PM

Live stock raised for comedic purposes.  Like a Booby farm.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 21, 2009, 07:58:12 PM

I have heard that both derive from the original meaning of stock as "something that things can be fixed to", like a butt or stump. So, 'laughing-stock' is similar to 'the butt of the joke'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Malthus on August 21, 2009, 11:12:59 PM
I have heard that both derive from the original meaning of stock as "something that things can be fixed to", like a butt or stump. So, 'laughing-stock' is similar to 'the butt of the joke'.
Yeah, so why is someone the butt of a joke? :huh: