And we're back!

Main Menu

PETA's Fish Empathy Center

Started by Savonarola, August 19, 2009, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

QuotePETA wants Grand Haven lighthouses for fish empathy center
Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News
Grand Haven's Lake Michigan lighthouses are the prime location sought by an animal rights group for its anti-fishing campaign headquarters.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has applied through a federal program to take over the structures and lighted catwalk that are frequently photographed for dramatic sunsets, thick winter ice and crashing waves.

The area gets nearly 2 million annual visitors, including anglers casting lines into the Grand River channel and heading out in boats for Great Lakes salmon.

"We want to renovate the Grand Haven lights as a memorial to the billions of fish killed annually by sport fishermen, as well as for their flesh (commercial fishing industry)," said Lindsey Rajt, manager of PETA's campaigns department. "We also want to make it a fun and educational place."

Tentative PETA plans call for an education center, where visitors would learn about fish. There also would be a cafe, offering vegetarian fare including "faux fish."

Signs would likely announce the lighthouse as home of PETA's Fish Empathy Center.

Locals are dumbfounded by the proposal.

"It doesn't make any sense to me at all," Capt. Dan Tebo said Tuesday, a mile offshore in his Grand Haven-based fishing charter boat the D'Ann Marie. "We fish here for the fish. That's what God gave them to us for."

Nonprofit groups have been encouraged to apply for ownership of lighthouses nationwide to help the government shed the cost of preservation.

PETA also has applied to take over three more lighthouses: Robbins Reef off Bayonne, N.J., Punta Tuna in Puerto Rico and Kewaunee, Wis.

Authorities in Grand Haven don't believe the National Park Service will allow the politicization of a public property.

"I don't think PETA is who Washington had in mind," said Marci Cisneros of the Grand Haven area convention bureau.

The Fish Empathy Center is way too weak-tea.  They should call it the National Fish Holocaust Museum.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Savonarola on August 19, 2009, 09:26:53 AM
QuotePETA also has applied to take over three more lighthouses: Robbins Reef off Bayonne, N.J., Punta Tuna in Puerto Rico and Kewaunee, Wis.

Oh, hell, no. Not in my backyard- we should shell it from Liberty Lightship and Romer Shoal to prevent it from falling into the hands of the enemy. :D
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

As long as they keep their mitts off Hitler Pond, I'll be happy.

http://www.placenames.com/us/p1041627/
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 19, 2009, 10:08:08 AM
Oh, hell, no. Not in my backyard- we should shell it from Liberty Lightship and Romer Shoal to prevent it from falling into the hands of the enemy. :D
Bayonne is your backyard?  :unsure:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2009, 10:12:34 AM
Bayonne is your backyard?  :unsure:

NJ is my backyard. The rest of the world is the community park. :contract:

Anyway, I'd like to spare some family up in Rutherford the pain of having to deal with close PETA proximity...
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

Grand Haven's Lake Michigan lighthouses are the prime location sought by an animal rights group for its anti-fishing campaign headquarters.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has applied through a federal program to take over the structures and lighted catwalk that are frequently photographed for dramatic sunsets, thick winter ice and crashing waves.

The area gets nearly 2 million annual visitors, including anglers casting lines into the Grand River channel and heading out in boats for Great Lakes salmon.

"We want to renovate the Grand Haven lights as a memorial to the billions of fish killed annually by sport fishermen, as well as for their flesh (commercial fishing industry)," said Lindsey Rajt, manager of PETA's campaigns department. "We also want to make it a fun and educational place."

Tentative PETA plans call for an education center, where visitors would learn about fish. There also would be a cafe, offering vegetarian fare including "faux fish."

Signs would likely announce the lighthouse as home of PETA's Fish Empathy Center.

"It doesn't make any sense to me at all," Capt. Dan Tebo said Tuesday, a mile offshore in his Grand Haven-based fishing charter boat the D'Ann Marie. "We fish here for the fish. That's what God gave them to us for."

Nonprofit groups have been encouraged to apply for ownership of lighthouses nationwide to help the government shed the cost of preservation.

PETA also has applied to take over three more lighthouses: Robbins Reef off Bayonne, N.J., Punta Tuna in Puerto Rico and Kewaunee, Wis.

Authorities in Grand Haven don't believe the National Park Service will allow the politicization of a public property.

"I don't think PETA is who Washington had in mind," said Marci Cisneros of the Grand Haven area convention bureau.

The Fish Empathy Center is way too weak-tea.  They should call it the National Fish Holocaust Museum.
I like the way you think.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

They would if they thought they'd get away with it, or could get the publicity.  PETA doesn't really see a difference between millions of dead people and millions of dead fish.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

:lol:

Doesn't having a memorial to billions of dead fish that's fun sort of defeat the purpose?

Razgovory

Man, I have a hard enough time empathizing with people.  I'm not going to try with a fucking fish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

The poor fish.   :( Oh, the fish-manity!

First PETA came for the animals, then for the birds, now the fish! Pretty soon the insects and reptiles. Then the plants, because plants have feelings too. Soon, too soon, we'll be sitting on this planet starving to death en masse, while vast herds of animals and schools of fish roam freely!!   :hide:

The Brain

:huh: Killing a fish for its flesh kind of defeats the purpose.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

saskganesh

Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 11:33:06 AM
Man, I have a hard enough time empathizing with people.  I'm not going to try with a fucking fish.

what if they were "sea kittens?" PETA wants to change their name

http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp
humans were created in their own image

jimmy olsen

Quote from: saskganesh on August 19, 2009, 04:44:10 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 19, 2009, 11:33:06 AM

what if they were "sea kittens?" PETA wants to change their name

http://www.peta.org/sea_kittens/index.asp
Wow, whoever thought that campaign up is pretty twisted.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2009, 04:45:35 PM
Wow, whoever thought that campaign up is pretty twisted.

I wonder how many PETA employees are true believers and how many are professional trolls. I read the description of the campaign, it was (intentionally) funny. The person who wrote it up *has* to realize how ridiculous it makes them look.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

barkdreg

Quote from: KRonn on August 19, 2009, 11:41:16 AM
The poor fish.   :( Oh, the fish-manity!

First PETA came for the animals, then for the birds, now the fish! Pretty soon the insects and reptiles. Then the plants, because plants have feelings too. Soon, too soon, we'll be sitting on this planet starving to death en masse, while vast herds of animals and schools of fish roam freely!!   :hide:

No they won't. Peta will probably make sure no animal will eat another animal.