News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New P'dox affiliated release - For The Glory

Started by garbon, August 19, 2009, 02:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Quote from: Fate on January 10, 2010, 04:07:58 PM
Yeah, I always disliked the heavy handed RR approach taken by the AGCEEP. Ming China is especially frustrating with all of the long duration high RR events in certain provinces that you can't do anything about (besides gutting the event file!)...

Playing as Burgundy, I wound up becoming France, then still getting hammered with the RR for my refusal to cede my territories, as Burgundy, to Austria and the RR France gets for failing to partition Burgundy!

Now I wouldn't really mind this except apparently a +10% RR is applied directly to the Dutch provinces.  This is in 1500, been ongoing for about twenty years.  Of course, because the FTG team's retooling of EU2 only went so far as to give me a new map mode to see this wonderful RR, they never fixed one of the potentially gamekilling quasi-bugs that event coders often fell afoul of, the eternity RR will last if a province-based revolt risk command is used without a second command reducing RR later.

Also, there's some guy on the AGCEEP team who does not know how to use the word "whom," and hilariously overcorrects from "who" even when it's the subject of a clause.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

The AGCEEP has always been a work in progress. :huh:  It would actually be helpful if you pointed out that you can get stuck with permanent revoltrisk if you change from Burgundy to France, with a mention of the events involved.

On the second bit, point it out as well, although I'm not sure what is so hilarious about event text that was likely written by a non-native speaker.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

I just thought it was funny.  Sue me.

I'm not 100% sure there was an issue with the coding.  I think there was, but I just manually fired the Burgundian event that reduces the provincial RR.  I believe its deathdate had passed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Just don't say we don't cate to the people. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on January 24, 2010, 11:20:56 PM
Just don't say we don't cate to the people. :)

No, I know, I'm not really mad or anything.  It's actually a very good product, for what it is--a professionally packaged, slickly done, fully-patched and AGCEEPed EU2.  I'm certainly enjoying it more than I did HoI3.

Just saying that if there ever was a project to really modify the engine, high up on the list, I think, would be to define time limits for provincial revolts.
Kinemalogue

Alexandru H.

Quote from: Vricklund on February 04, 2010, 03:39:23 AM
60% off on For the Glory over at Gamersgate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-FTG/for-the-glory-a-europa-universalis-game

Are things going so badly in the "we're not EU2 because our name is different" universe?  :nelson:

Ideologue

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I found out something kind of cool.  The tolerance sliders are moddable.  Maybe everyone always knew this, but it's news to me. :P

I was basically just posting to get some feedback on whether giving Muslims a universal Christian slider, versus Catholic/Orthodox/Reformed sliders is historically founded.  It seems like it would be, and it seems mostly fair (the Pope doesn't get two Muslims sliders, for example, and my understanding of the Ottomans is that they didn't give a crap what specific kind of Christian you were).

I made the Hindu and Sikh sliders visible too, although that may be going too far.  (Although it certainly makes sense for the Mughals.)

What'd be really neat is if going innovative meant extra tolerance, but that's in the engine itself and unreachable by conventional means afaik.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:44:59 AM
I made the Hindu and Sikh sliders visible too, although that may be going too far.  (Although it certainly makes sense for the Mughals.)

You could also set up an eastern Islamic religion (still labeled Sunni) for Indian & SouthEast Asian nations that would give them tolerance sliders specific to their areas.  It had been discussed but simply wasn't fully implemented for FTG.

Ideologue

Wouldn't that would prevent world Islamic empires like the Ottomans from integrating "false" Sunni provinces in Uttar Pradesh, and the Mughals from integrating "true" Sunni provinces in Afghanistan?  I suppose this may be good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.  I guess I prefer the AGCEEP-inspired notion that a Mughal Empire whose wholesale tolerance of dhimmis outlasts Akbar should probably just be converted to Hinduism, rather than penalize a colonially adventurous Ottoman, Mamluk, or Yemeni.

Anyway, I'll just say that playing as the Golden Horde yesterday, with hands in both pots, it was a lot more fun not to have to deal with Catholics, Orthodox, and Protestants separately.

Is the lack of limitations on cultures and religions unique to FtG?  If so, grats, because it's so much easier to deal with, modwise.  In fooling around with the Caucasus for example, all I needed to do was just plug in Avar, instead of having to search for some two-bit unused culture tag. :)  And it's really cool to have Sikhism (even if Shinto is unnecessary).
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:07:49 PM
Wouldn't that would prevent world Islamic empires like the Ottomans from integrating "false" Sunni provinces in Uttar Pradesh, and the Mughals from integrating "true" Sunni provinces in Afghanistan?  I suppose this may be good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.  I guess I prefer the AGCEEP-inspired notion that a Mughal Empire whose wholesale tolerance of dhimmis outlasts Akbar should probably just be converted to Hinduism, rather than penalize a colonially adventurous Ottoman, Mamluk, or Yemeni.

Nah, the plan was to treat the second one like how Counterreform is treated. Same subgroup and have all "Eastern Sunni" nations have a provincereligion of "real" Sunni. There wouldn't be any province religion penalties. (Actually I believe I set up Shinto in the same way so that Japan could be Confucian or Shinto and not suffer province religion penalties.)

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:07:49 PMIs the lack of limitations on cultures and religions unique to FtG?  If so, grats, because it's so much easier to deal with, modwise.  In fooling around with the Caucasus for example, all I needed to do was just plug in Avar, instead of having to search for some two-bit unused culture tag. :)  And it's really cool to have Sikhism (even if Shinto is unnecessary).

Yes. One of the making it easier to mod aspects.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on March 09, 2011, 06:39:53 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:07:49 PM

Nah, the plan was to treat the second one like how Counterreform is treated. Same subgroup and have all "Eastern Sunni" nations have a provincereligion of "real" Sunni. There wouldn't be any province religion penalties.

Hm, not a bad idea.

Quote(Actually I believe I set up Shinto in the same way so that Japan could be Confucian or Shinto and not suffer province religion penalties.)

:hmm:  I'd never noticed this.

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 03:07:49 PMIs the lack of limitations on cultures and religions unique to FtG?  If so, grats, because it's so much easier to deal with, modwise.  In fooling around with the Caucasus for example, all I needed to do was just plug in Avar, instead of having to search for some two-bit unused culture tag. :)  And it's really cool to have Sikhism (even if Shinto is unnecessary).

Yes. One of the making it easier to mod aspects.
[/quote]

Well, that's pretty awesome.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 10:43:21 PM
Hm, not a bad idea.

The text even made it into the localisation folder:
RELIGION_EASTERN_SUNNI;Sunni;x
RELIGION_AFRICAN_SUNNI;Sunni;x

But then in keeping in tradition with p'dox release was left unimplemented. :D

Quote from: Ideologue on March 09, 2011, 10:43:21 PM:hmm:  I'd never noticed this.

Actually I looked and Shinto was made a province religion but the same notion applies. If two religions are in the same subgroup, no penalties.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.