News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sony cuts price of PlayStation 3 by $100

Started by garbon, August 18, 2009, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090818/ap_on_en_ot/us_tec_sony_playstation_price_cut

QuoteAfter months of rumors and anticipation, Sony says it's slashing the price of the PlayStation 3 by $100 to $299.

Sony Corp. said Tuesday it will cut the price of the currently available 80 gigabyte PlayStation 3 effective immediately. It is also launching a slimmer, lighter model in early September that will also cost $299.

Sales of the PlayStation 3, which launched in 2006, have fallen behind its rivals. Video game software makers hope Sony's price cut will boost game sales ahead of the holidays. So far this year, the industry has seen as slump because of the recession and weak game release schedules.

Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment of America, says there is no question the consumer reaction to the cuts will be "phenomenal."

I love slim models!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DisturbedPervert

I kinda want a PS3. If Suikoden VI is an exclusive I'd get one at this price.  If it's on the Wii instead, I won't bother until the PS4 comes out and PS3s and used games are dirt cheap.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2009, 03:57:40 PM
Hello, Blu Ray player!

I thought this at first too, but then I looked at the prices of Blu Ray players now, and....eh....even at places like Best Buy, most of them are cheaper than $299.

Josquius

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 18, 2009, 03:22:48 PM
I kinda want a PS3. If Suikoden VI is an exclusive I'd get one at this price.  If it's on the Wii instead, I won't bother until the PS4 comes out and PS3s and used games are dirt cheap.
Apparently though Suikoden VI isn't even in development :(
If it does come out though my money is on PS3, the Wii doesn't do real games and the 360 still seems to be alergic to J-RPGs.
:yes:
I'm the same, Suikoden VI is all that will make me get a PS3. Most other games seem to be going to the 360 now- Ace Combat was another one that would have tempted me to PS3 but it switched.

Don't hold your breath for a PS4 though, from what I've heard this console generation is going to be LONG. I read one piece in Edge a month or two back which even mused this could be the last true console generation. Development costs are just spiralling out of control with even this generation.
There haven't been any remote rumblings of another console yet- and those normally appear at least 2 years before the console is actually released.
Given Project Natal it seems Microsoft is standing by the 360 too.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on August 18, 2009, 06:01:16 PM
If it does come out though my money is on PS3, the Wii doesn't do real games and the 360 still seems to be alergic to J-RPGs.

I'm betting on Wii for Suikoden VI at this point.  There are quite a few real games on it now, and like the makers of Dragon Quest X, they might go with the biggest system in the main market jrpg, Japan.

But Suikoden VI on PS3 would get me to buy it.  I also want Disgaea 3 and Valykyrie Chroniscles.

$299 is a really good deal for what you get, I just wished it had PS2 compatibility, as mine is broken now.

DontSayBanana

Meh. PS3's library does not hold anywhere enough interest for me to see me shelling out even the lowered price for one of those monstrosities. Still planning my "won't see this for Christmas, but I'll still ask" section to include a 360.
Experience bij!

HisMajestyBOB

Meh, don't care.
I am slowly getting interested in either a Wii, or getting a used Gamecube solely to play Eternal Darkness. Playing with your Wii is surprisingly fun.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DontSayBanana

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on August 18, 2009, 10:48:47 PM
Meh, don't care.
I am slowly getting interested in either a Wii, or getting a used Gamecube solely to play Eternal Darkness. Playing with your Wii is surprisingly fun.

I'd actually recommend the GameCube. My girlfriend got a Wii, and I've been getting more and more frustrated as time goes on with the way the controller only really works with highly gimmicky party games- Twilight Princess is actually more enjoyable for me on the GameCube, frex.
Experience bij!

Grey Fox

You do know that the Wii can play all Gamecubes game?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 18, 2009, 10:25:46 PM
Meh. PS3's library does not hold anywhere enough interest for me to see me shelling out even the lowered price for one of those monstrosities. Still planning my "won't see this for Christmas, but I'll still ask" section to include a 360.

The 360 is by far the best bang for your buck.  Not only the console itself, but the games are more plentiful, with lots of bargains to be had if you look around.

Anyway, if I do see one of the current (non-slim) PS3's drop down to $250 anywhere I might bite.  My Samsung blu-ray player stopped playing standard DVDs (though it still works okay for blu-ray discs) so I may have an excuse to replace it.

Anyone know if the PS3 will upscale standard DVDs?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall