And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2009, 03:25:11 PM
Good choices all round, enjoy it. :cheers:

The best thing I did with mine is put some flat pedals like these, made it more enjoyable.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Images/Models/Full/3177-1.Jpg

I think I'm going to stick with the pedals I have until I get stable and comfortable enough to do clips and clip-in shoes.  I have considered putting some bar ends on the handlebars, though.  One of the things I really, really like about road bikes is the way the handlebars are set up - that was a compromise I had to make in order to get all the benefits of a hybrid bike.  I might consider a "real" road bike or one of those specialized triathlon bikes in a couple of years if I'm still sticking with it.
and the horse you rode in on

Norgy

A word of advice, based on experience of misery and pain, wear padded, stretchy shorts.
They will protect your nutsack and the rather sensitive and tender crotch areas and between the ass and thigh. Else you might be mistaking your crotch for pus-filled hamburger meat.

fhdz

Quote from: Norgy on April 07, 2009, 03:41:04 PM
A word of advice, based on experience of misery and pain, wear padded, stretchy shorts.
They will protect your nutsack and the rather sensitive and tender crotch areas and between the ass and thigh. Else you might be mistaking your crotch for pus-filled hamburger meat.

Yep, "saddle time" is necessary to overcome the initial shock of a bike seat.  I'm doing lots of short rides to strengthen those muscles in order to get over that issue.

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on April 07, 2009, 03:41:04 PM
Fahdiz doesn't have to worry about this as his nuts were cut off.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: fahdiz on April 07, 2009, 03:32:16 PM
I think I'm going to stick with the pedals I have until I get stable and comfortable enough to do clips and clip-in shoes.  I have considered putting some bar ends on the handlebars, though.  One of the things I really, really like about road bikes is the way the handlebars are set up - that was a compromise I had to make in order to get all the benefits of a hybrid bike.  I might consider a "real" road bike or one of those specialized triathlon bikes in a couple of years if I'm still sticking with it.

Looking at it, yours and my bikes seem fairly similar:
http://www.boardmanbikes.com/hybrid/hybrid_comp.html

Mine came with bar ends and the few times I've had a play with them they seemed quite usable; though I havne't done enough miles yet to get the geometry set up to suit me or vice versa.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

Why would anyone want to do a triathalon?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2009, 03:59:27 PM

Yep, I agree, WTF its not a Languish approved activity.  :mad:

Instead he should be buy boardgames he never intents to play.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Since we're sharing, I bought this one two weeks ago.
Already crashed it once  :Embarrass:

[/URL]

fhdz

I want to get very, very fit.  I want to work on repairing the years and years of damage I've caused my lungs.  Crosstraining is the best way to do that, and I figure as long as I'm going to be crosstraining anyway I might as well give myself a goal.  Plus, I like all three of the pieces of a triathlon.  I love riding a bike, I love swimming, and now that I have the right shoes I love running too.

fhdz

Quote from: Maladict on April 07, 2009, 04:15:52 PM
Since we're sharing, I bought this one two weeks ago.
Already crashed it once  :Embarrass:

I was thiiiiiiiiis close to splurging on a Trek road bike.  I was looking at the 1.2, but I like the 1000 series as well.  I settled instead for the hybrid, which was about half the price.  It's a Gary Fisher, which is owned by Trek anyway.

Maladict

Quote from: fahdiz on April 07, 2009, 04:18:39 PM

I was thiiiiiiiiis close to splurging on a Trek road bike.  I was looking at the 1.2, but I like the 1000 series as well.  I settled instead for the hybrid, which was about half the price.  It's a Gary Fisher, which is owned by Trek anyway.

The 1.2 is a nice bike, just outside my range though.
This really is expensive stuff, what with all the necessary add-ons (shoes, clothes, helmet etc).

katmai

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2009, 04:00:59 PM

Yep, I agree, WTF its not a Languish approved activity.  :mad:

Instead he should be buy boardgames he never intents to play.  :cool:

:P Not saying he shouldn't get fit, just don't see the attraction in that particular activity.

Sides odds are both fahdiz and CdM are dead by 40 with all the fag smoking they have done.

fhdz

Quote from: Maladict on April 07, 2009, 04:21:27 PM
The 1.2 is a nice bike, just outside my range though.
This really is expensive stuff, what with all the necessary add-ons (shoes, clothes, helmet etc).

I ended up getting the bike, the fenders, a water bottle cage, a helmet, a spare tube, and a bike tool (little hex wrenches in a pocketknife-like thing) for about $600.  I didn't buy a jersey; I have workout shirts which will work just fine.  I could stand to buy some bike shorts, though.

fhdz

Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2009, 04:25:23 PM
Sides odds are both fahdiz and CdM are dead by 40 with all the fag smoking they have done.

Nah, it's repairable to a large degree.

katmai

Quote from: fahdiz on April 07, 2009, 04:28:46 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 07, 2009, 04:25:23 PM

Nah, it's repairable to a large degree.

I'll be sure to mention that at wake after you drop dead.  :hug:

:P