News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fitness 2009

Started by fhdz, March 23, 2009, 11:38:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I dunno what to do.
A few friends are muttering of starting up playing football a lot when the snow melts which will help but I got to do more. Maybe running on the roof pre-sauna or something. I can't afford gym.

My trouble is as always I'm just out of shape. I've got a bit of a gut but I'm not overweight, well within decent levels. Just aesthetics are horrid and have to tackle them as best possible.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Currently at my heaviest ever and finding it really hard to get back into a routine as I just can't keep up with what I used to do. And I had such high hopes for the Sex and Guinness Diet. Sigh.

fahdiz, have you entered a sprint tri to aim for yet? You should. Couple of things to bear in mind, if you're doing an open water swim, you'll need to practise over a much greater distance in the pool when you can't rest at all. If it requires a wetsuit, get at least two sessions in wearing the suit, it's completely different. You should also do a "brick" session at least once a week - back-to-back swim/cycle or cycle/run/ Nothing prepares you for the wobbly legs you get when you rack up your bike and just start running!

Brazen

Also f, get a road bike not a mountain bike unless you're really going off road.

fhdz

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2009, 02:35:47 AM
Also f, get a road bike not a mountain bike unless you're really going off road.

Indeed.  I'm shopping this weekend for a good road bike.  One of the local bike stores has a 10K square-foot showroom and everything in the store is 10-40% off through Sunday night.

I got fitted for running shoes last night, so starting tomorrow I'm going to begin an 8-week program which very gradually steps up and will have me running non-stop for 30 minutes by the end of the 2 months.

Swimming continues well - I'm up to a 1/2-mile now with relatively few - and short - breaks.

I missed the first dragon boat practice of the year because I am retarded.  The second practice is tonight - in about three hours in fact - and I will *not* be missing it.
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2009, 02:35:08 AMfahdiz, have you entered a sprint tri to aim for yet? You should. Couple of things to bear in mind, if you're doing an open water swim, you'll need to practise over a much greater distance in the pool when you can't rest at all. If it requires a wetsuit, get at least two sessions in wearing the suit, it's completely different. You should also do a "brick" session at least once a week - back-to-back swim/cycle or cycle/run/ Nothing prepares you for the wobbly legs you get when you rack up your bike and just start running!

I'm thinking about trying for a triathlon early next year or even late this year.  I would plan for the summer but I think I'm going to need some extra time for my lungs to repair themselves a bit and to build the kind of shape I want to be in.  Thanks for your tips, they're great :)

Martinus

I went to a swimming pool today. :p

katmai

I can't swim, all the lakes are still frozen :(
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2009, 02:37:14 PM

that explains the thin film of astroglide on the surface.  :(
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2009, 02:41:47 PM
I can't swim, all the lakes are still frozen :(
Tell the volcano to dump liquid hot magma on the frozen lakes.  :smarty:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

fhdz

I bought a new bike! :)

SFG and I went on a short (3.5 mile) ride yesterday in the beautiful 65 degree weather.  I can't wait to get back on the thing.  I wish I didn't have to work today so I could cruise around a bit more.

I'm starting the 8-week running program on Wednesday.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

I really ought to go to the gym today.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Ed Anger

I think I fucked my shoulder up.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Oh, by the way - my first dragon boat practice on Friday night went really, really well.  The paddling stroke for a dragon boat is a great workout - the next day I was feeling it in my arms, shoulders, chest, upper abs, and my entire back.  My legs were even feeling it a bit, as there's a lot of isometric pressure coming from bracing your legs so you can get the most power into what is essentially a very short paddling stroke.  Tomorrow's the next practice.

fhdz

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 04, 2009, 04:53:10 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 04, 2009, 02:37:14 PM

that explains the thin film of astroglide on the surface.  :(

:lol:

fhdz

Wasn't this thread livelier on the old board? :unsure: