Will any Liberals be satisfied with the Democrats in 2010?

Started by Faeelin, August 16, 2009, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 02:48:07 PM
Who else are the left going to support?
The Democrats can piss them off all they want and they aren't going Republican.
They don't have to support anyone, if they're pissed off enough they'll stay home.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2009, 02:51:20 PM
Idiot fringe primary challengers.
That's as much a threat for the right as well, though.

They don't have to support anyone, if they're pissed off enough they'll stay home.
I think if they're pissed off they support fringe primary challengers.  If they're apathetic (which I think is more likely) then most stay at home, some vote depending on how scary the alternative is.

I think if someone like, say, Rick Santorum is running and could get in and you're a good well-meaning liberal you'd be inclined to swallow your frustration and vote to keep him out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

I certainly hope the UAW will support Obama; that really would be ingratitude if they did not.

A numer of representatives who were swept into office on Obama's coat tails will lose their seats and the margin should get narrower in the Senate.  Obama may be a disappointment to the radicals or certain single issue supporters; that will hurt Democrats in terms of raising money.  Even so I would be surprised if the Republicans took either house; the margins are large; Obama hasn't done anything terrible; and, at the moment, the Republicans look to be leaderless.  This could change; I wouldn't have thought the Republicans could have taken both houses in the next election in 1993.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 02:52:48 PM
I dunno, as Shelibh says you don't have to vote for someone, you can also vote as being against someone.
The Republicans are pretty scary these days. The way they're underhandedly sabotaging the current health care stuff is sure to push people from mild dislike into being activly against them.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 03:02:45 PM
The Republicans are pretty scary these days. The way they're underhandedly sabotaging the current health care stuff is sure to push people from mild dislike into being activly against them.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2009, 02:58:59 PM
Idiot fringe candidacies have more traction when the incumbent has a record to run against.

Joe Squeeze:  :lol:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 02:52:48 PM
I dunno, as Shelibh says you don't have to vote for someone, you can also vote as being against someone.
Underhandedly? They're openly against it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

QuoteUnderhandedly? They're openly against it.
No they aren't.
They're relying on a load of silly scare tactics about death panels and the like.

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2009, 03:26:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 16, 2009, 02:58:59 PM
Idiot fringe candidacies have more traction when the incumbent has a record to run against.

Joe Squeeze:  :lol:
:lol: is not a argument.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2009, 03:51:31 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 03:49:07 PM

Random babble does not require refutation. :lol:
:yeahright: What I said was perfectly valid.
I wasn't even saying much new, just agreeing with what has already been said.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 16, 2009, 02:16:42 PM
Idiots.  ACORN and Americorps are the new shadow Federal police force.  Elections will soon be meaningless relics under the President for Life and his Liberal Armies.

You have been reading my friend's emails to me.  :mad:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 03:49:07 PM
:weep:

You may be right, Republicans may be pounding away about death panels and I'm just missing it.  Hook me up with a quote or two.

Eddie Teach

Problem is, it's working. The majority of the public is with them, some quite fervently, so even if those of us who aren't dislike them more over it, they still win on the issue.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2009, 04:03:58 PM
:weep:

You may be right, Republicans may be pounding away about death panels and I'm just missing it.  Hook me up with a quote or two.
At least you're saying what your disagreement actually is now.

Did you actually miss that? Its one of the more famous quotes to come out of the various republican sillyness.
http://www.nj.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2009/08/obama_reacts_to_death_panel_cl.html

Problem is, it's working. The majority of the public is with them, some quite fervently, so even if those of us who aren't dislike them more over it, they still win on the issue.
Yeah, but the point is though whether the left will hold this as a Obama failing so not vote or of why Republicans are bad (tm) and so vote to stop them.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.