Will any Liberals be satisfied with the Democrats in 2010?

Started by Faeelin, August 16, 2009, 01:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

So, the Democrats in the Senate have now said they won't pass Waxman. The Public Option is dead, dead, dead. Bagram is still in effect, the economy will be sucky for years to come, and Obama is at best indifferent to gay rights.

What part of the Democratic base will still support them in the next few years?

Eddie Teach

If the economy is still sucky in November 2010, they'll have problems. The rest of that, not so much.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

If the economy is still sucky in 2010 the challenge will come from the left wing of the Democratic party, not the Republicans.

Buppies have done pretty well under Obama.  A couple hundred peaceniks will stay home (hard to notice in a midterm).  A couple hundred gay activists will stay home (hard to notice in a midterm).

CountDeMoney

Obama is going to be our beloved President for two full terms, and the Democrats will benefit from that.  GOD BLESS OUR OBAMA NATION

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 01:50:42 PM
What part of the Democratic base will still support them in the next few years?

Blacks.  ;)
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 02:02:33 PM
Obama is going to be our beloved President for two full terms, and the Democrats will benefit from that.  GOD BLESS OUR OBAMA NATION

Aren't you the guy who coined the term "Obamateur?"  :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 02:04:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 16, 2009, 02:02:33 PM

Aren't you the guy who coined the term "Obamateur?"  :lol:

What's that got to do with anything?  :mad:

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 16, 2009, 02:01:27 PM
If the economy is still sucky in 2010 the challenge will come from the left wing of the Democratic party, not the Republicans.

Buppies have done pretty well under Obama.  A couple hundred peaceniks will stay home (hard to notice in a midterm).  A couple hundred gay activists will stay home (hard to notice in a midterm).

Buppies?

I'm not so sure as you guys, and here are a couple of discussions as to why:

1) Obama's grass roots base seems, well, tired. Here's a good example: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/health/policy/15ground.html?_r=2&hp

2) The Democrats are frankly much, much less enthusiastic than they were even a few months ago: http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/08/enthusiasm-gap-revisited.html.

IIRC the Democrats were also falling behind in fundraising a fewm onths ago, but I'd need to check that to see if it's still true.

Darth Wagtaros

Idiots.  ACORN and Americorps are the new shadow Federal police force.  Elections will soon be meaningless relics under the President for Life and his Liberal Armies. 
PDH!

garbon

I support Hillary. She would have glared at Pelosi and said "Bitch, I'm the president, not you. How you think you gonna check me, boo?"
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

I don't think the party loyalists get too disheartened by legislative failure (at worst, they sit the election out for a while), because most people don't know what the platform or manifesto was to begin with.  So they vote on the impressions of the media, who are paid to read such things and their own intuition about candidates/stuff in general. 

I think to lose those votes in significant number you need to do something that they dislike intensely.  I don't think Obama failing to get things passed or done (and, and, and this is very early in a President's term to be talking about their legislative achievement), in my opinion he'll need to pass or do something that liberals and Democrats actively dislike.

In the UK you also need an opposition that isn't too scary or tribalism will kick in, I don't think that's likely in a mid-term election.

I don't understand this dislike of Congress writing laws.  I thought that was its job?  After I spent the Bush years worrying about a creeping parliamentarianism into the US system (which I think would be very damaging) I don't think Congress doing what it's meant to do is necessarily that bad.
Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on August 16, 2009, 02:16:50 PM
I support Hillary. She would have glared at Pelosi and said "Bitch, I'm the president, not you. How you think you gonna check me, boo?"
Probably.  Which is why she's been neutralized.  She'll never be able to run again.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 02:14:51 PM
Buppies?
Black Yuppies.

Shelf: the typical pattern is for the president to offer a draft bill for his "major initiatives" and haggle about amendments. 

Josquius

Who else are the left going to support?
The Democrats can piss them off all they want and they aren't going Republican.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi