News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TEH AMERICAN REVOLOOTION

Started by Eddie Teach, August 16, 2009, 09:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

You find yourself living in the 13 colonies in 1775, so what do you do?

American- I join the Sons of Liberty and agitate
19 (27.5%)
Foreigner- agitate
2 (2.9%)
American- I join the Revolution once it's underway
9 (13%)
Foreigner- joiner
5 (7.2%)
American- I sympathize with the rebels and do little things to help
4 (5.8%)
Foreigner- sympathizer
3 (4.3%)
American-I try to stay out of it
3 (4.3%)
Foreigner- neutral
3 (4.3%)
American- I help the British and perhaps move to Canada when they lose
8 (11.6%)
Foreigner- Tory
12 (17.4%)
I move to Mexico and become Jaron's ancestor
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 12:26:12 PM
Furthermore, with no US independence, Spain would hang on to it's colonies much longer, so the old west would likely be taken as well in one of the upcoming general European wars.

Historically, Britain managed to keep out of continental wars for nearly a century(I'm not counting Crimea as one). The separation of the US from Britain and Mexico from Spain made that outcome far more probable.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on August 16, 2009, 12:36:58 PM
Furthermore, with no US independence, Spain would hang on to it's colonies much longer, so the old west would likely be taken as well in one of the upcoming general European wars.
How would the lack of a United States prevent the disintegration of Spanish authority in the New World during the Napoleonic Wars?
Without French intervention into the American revolution France won't go bankrupt and the French revolution would be postponed a while. There wouldn't be the Napoleonic Wars as we know them.

Unless some other CB popped up, there probably wouldn't be another war between Britain and France following the Seven Years War until American settlers started settling in large numbers on the Mississippi and tension builds over control over the river and New Orleans.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 16, 2009, 12:11:29 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2009, 12:04:46 PM
Disagree--just completing the outlines of a map of the territory was a major undertaking after the purchase. There was no way to militarily seize that much territory.

Again, a misconception. Maps existed. People knew the terrain. American mythos has seized on the figures of Lewis & Clark, but their guides were Natives and French voyageurs. The key to seizing the land was to work up Native alliances, which was mandatory if you wanted to exploit the fur trade anyway - again, as the NorthWest Company, The Laclède & Chouteau, the Astor Fur Trading amply demonstrated.

That isn't true. A major motivation of the expedition was to find navigatable rivers across the continent--there wasn't complete ignorance of the area, it was largely a wilderness that had not been effectively mapped.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 12:40:08 PM

Historically, Britain managed to keep out of continental wars for nearly a century(I'm not counting Crimea as one). The separation of the US from Britain and Mexico from Spain made that outcome far more probable.

What's to stop the colonists from dragging Britain into a war with Spain like they did with France?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 12:06:47 PM
Disagree--just completing the outlines of a map of the territory was a major undertaking after the purchase. There was no way to militarily seize that much territory.

Surely all you have to do is seize New Orleans and St. Louis? It wasn't a densely populated region, after all.

To effectively gain control of the population. That is different than gaining the territory in a peace treaty, which in any event wouldn't be signed for over a decade.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

I simply dislike revolutions.  It would be seem imprudent to risk throwing away a good life (life in the colonies was better then most places in Europe) for the sake of a possible American Republic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2009, 12:45:33 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 16, 2009, 12:11:29 PM

Again, a misconception. Maps existed. People knew the terrain. American mythos has seized on the figures of Lewis & Clark, but their guides were Natives and French voyageurs. The key to seizing the land was to work up Native alliances, which was mandatory if you wanted to exploit the fur trade anyway - again, as the NorthWest Company, The Laclède & Chouteau, the Astor Fur Trading amply demonstrated.

That isn't true. A major motivation of the expedition was to find navigatable rivers across the continent--there wasn't complete ignorance of the area, it was largely a wilderness that had not been effectively mapped.
You don't have to occupy the entire territory. All you have to do is seize New Orleans. The Royal Navy controls the seas. There's really no way that French could contest this.

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2009, 12:48:42 PM
Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 12:06:47 PM

Surely all you have to do is seize New Orleans and St. Louis? It wasn't a densely populated region, after all.

To effectively gain control of the population. That is different than gaining the territory in a peace treaty, which in any event wouldn't be signed for over a decade.
By that measure the French didn't have control of the territory either.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 12:46:40 PM
What's to stop the colonists from dragging Britain into a war with Spain like they did with France?

Well, for one thing their interests were more spread out in 1850 than in 1750.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 12:58:27 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 12:46:40 PM

Well, for one thing their interests were more spread out in 1850 than in 1750.
British North America would also be fantastically more valuable to them in this scenario. Whether the Americans have MPs in London or their own Parliament in Philadelphia their political and economic power within the Empire would be constantly raising.

1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on August 16, 2009, 12:16:12 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2009, 12:09:09 PM
Lets keep in mind the scope of American expansion westward. There are more Californians than Canadians, and more Texans than Australians.

Yes, but you haven't explained why that would change. Again, it's not like people didn't immigrate to the Thirteen Colonies. And given the choice between Canada and Ohio, why would people head north?

A few reasons:

1) why didn't the UK/Canada acquire Alaska? Why didn't the UK/commonwealth gain any territory in the New World after 1776? I'd argue that the British parliament was less interested in such matters compared to Americans, as it wasn't in their own self interest to the same degree. I think this would make less likely land grabs such as the Spanish American war.
2) See the declaration of independence for a take on the British government's policies in 1776:
"He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands. "
3) The favoring of British commercial rights over those in the new world would retard economic development (this is a big one)
4) The british took a less harsh indian policy, which would slow expansion
5) An association with the British empire could slow immigration--for example, from Europe during the continental period and from Ireland during later periods.
6) I can only imagine that as the balance of power transferred to the colonies from the UK, there would be attempts to counteract that within the UK
7) The observation that among all of the British colonies that did not secede from the empire, none can come close to the population, national income, or ability to project power as the United States.
8) This is a big one for me--the British government in the late 18th/early 19th century were a bunch of overindulged aristocratic douchebags who were not concerned with facilitating rapid economic development on another continent.

Oexmelin

Quote from: alfred russel on August 16, 2009, 12:45:33 PM

I am not sure what your point is. On the one hand, you can have control (regardless of what you understand control to be in colonial borderlands) without mapping. On the other hand, the ignorance of the American government of the territory does not equal the ignorance of the authorities in New Orleans or in Saint Louis over what type of territory they are dealing with. Lewis and Clark were wonderful propagandists who were writing their epic. I work with the people on the other side - the French, the Native guides, the St. Louis équipeurs, and it is funny to see when Lewis and Clark appear within my sources, portrayed as charming, but clueless individuals.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 01:02:00 PM
British North America would also be fantastically more valuable to them in this scenario. Whether the Americans have MPs in London or their own Parliament in Philadelphia their political and economic power within the Empire would be constantly raising.

Sure. But it's not like the 19th century Americans were unanimously in support of expansionist wars. Add to that that Spain with colonies intact is a tougher foe than independent Mexico as well as the entanglements in Asia and it's far from a given that the British take California.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 16, 2009, 12:44:35 PM
Without French intervention into the American revolution France won't go bankrupt and the French revolution would be postponed a while. There wouldn't be the Napoleonic Wars as we know them.
Outlays for the support of the American Rebellion were far less important to the French financial situation than the massive structural problems in the French economy, the wars of Louis XV and French attempts to build a navy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 12:11:39 PM
I believe though that the chances are in favour of things being better for the world with the British remaining united.

But you haven't really given any examples. How would the greater unity of the block offset the lesser demographic strength?