Started by jimmy olsen, August 15, 2009, 04:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Whoops.  :D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32430344/ns/entertainment-movies/
QuoteBollywood icon detained at Newark airport

Shah Rukh Khan said his name came up on computer alert list

updated 46 minutes ago

NEW DELHI - Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan was detained for two hours for questioning at a U.S. airport before being released by immigration authorities, a news agency report said Saturday.

Khan, one of the Indian film industry's biggest stars, said he was detained because his name came up on a computer alert list at Newark Liberty International Airport in New Jersey, Press Trust of India news agency said.

"I told them I am a movie star," Khan was quoted as saying.
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The reported detention made top news on TV stations in India.

Khan said he was able to message a lawmaker in India who asked the Indian embassy in Washington to seek his release. Khan was let go after embassy officials intervened, the agency said.

Jen Friedberg, a spokeswoman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the airport, said the agency did not request that Khan be detained.

In New Delhi, U.S. Ambassador to India, Timothy J. Roemer, said the U.S. Embassy was trying to "ascertain the facts of the case — to understand what took place."

"Shah Rukh Khan, the actor and global icon, is a very welcome guest in the United States. Many Americans love his films," Roemer said Saturday through an embassy spokesman.

Khan, 44, has acted in more than 70 films, and has consistently topped popularity rankings in India for the past several years. He is in the U.S. to promote his new film, "My Name Is Khan," a film about racial profiling.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Yeah, he's basically the most famous bollywood star.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Of course he's on the list.  He's named after Tamerlane's son.  The last thing we want is somebody making a mountain of human skulls in New Jersey.

Then again, who would notice?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2009, 10:48:28 PM
Of course he's on the list.  He's named after Tamerlane's son.  The last thing we want is somebody making a mountain of human skulls in New Jersey.

Then again, who would notice?

Elsewhere in NJ, it might raise a few eyebrows, but Newark? Violent crime in Newark is like homeless in Detroit.
Experience bij!

citizen k

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 15, 2009, 11:12:25 PM
Violent crime in Newark is like homeless in Detroit.

If you can scrape together a few hundred bucks you can buy a house in Detroit.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: citizen k on August 15, 2009, 11:48:06 PM

I would think that sounds like a good deal right up until you've got to spend the difference on a kevlar wardrobe. ;)
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on August 15, 2009, 11:48:06 PM

Yeah, but you'd need tens of thousands to pay off the tax lien.  And because of the taxes, you'd be crazy to buy a house in Detroit.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

heh, I like the ending, this is almost a setup promotion for it.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on August 16, 2009, 07:59:53 AM
heh, I like the ending, this is almost a setup promotion for it.

Department never ordered it. Wanna take the :tinfoil: route and suggest somebody was hired to set it up?
Experience bij!

DisturbedPervert

That's what you get for breaking in to a song and dance routine at the immigration counter.

CountDeMoney

Meh, who cares.  He's a Brown Person, and Brown Pipple need to be verified.  For example, Emperor Gupta is still in Gitmo, because they can't figure out why he's got an English accent.