Hard-line imam's death ends bloody clash in Gaza Strip

Started by jimmy olsen, August 15, 2009, 03:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

The analysis in bold is ridiculous.  :lol:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-gaza-fighting16-2009aug16,0,1538529.story
Hard-line imam's death ends bloody clash in Gaza Strip

A two-day battle between the imam, who wanted to impose Islamic law, and Hamas forces left 27 other people dead. The crackdown could allow Hamas to be seen as a bulwark against militancy by the West.

Reporting from Gaza City and Jerusalem - An imam who wanted to impose Islamic law in the Gaza Strip was killed today in an explosion at one of his hideouts, ending a two-day battle between his armed followers and Hamas government forces that left 27 other people dead.

The security crackdown could allow Hamas, which has tried to court favor with the West, to position itself as a moderate Islamic bulwark against militant forces inspired by Al Qaeda.

But the challenge by the imam, Abdel-Latif Moussa, also pointed to splits among Hamas' followers. Residents of the southern city of Rafah, where the clash occurred, said several former Hamas militants were killed while fighting for the imam's group, the Soldiers of the Companions of God.

Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman Ihab Ghussein said the imam had espoused "perverted ideas and considered all Gazans as unbelievers" and had allegedly orchestrated the bombings of Internet cafes and a wedding party.

The spokesman said Hamas appealed to scholars, clerics and parents to "educate the Palestinian people in correct and moderate Islam."

Moussa provoked the clash Friday by announcing a campaign to impose religious law by force of arms. He made the declaration during a midday sermon in Rafah surrounded by black-clad gunmen who then holed up with him in a mosque and fought off Hamas security forces who besieged the building.

The rebels eventually abandoned the mosque through an underground tunnel and continued the fight from nearby homes. After an overnight lull, a Hamas negotiator approached the imam's hideout in an attempt to talk him into surrendering. An explosion rocked the house, killing the imam, his aide and the negotiator, Ghussein said.

Ghussein said the aide, a Syrian national of Palestinian origin, set off the explosion by detonating a suicide belt. There was no confirmation of the account by the imam's surviving supporters.

[email protected]

Boudreaux is a Times staff writer and Abu Alouf is a special correspondent.

Copyright © 2009, The Los Angeles Times
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 15, 2009, 03:50:53 PM

Not really.  It's what they've been trying to do since the election.  Douchebag.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 15, 2009, 04:09:39 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 15, 2009, 03:50:53 PM

Not really.  It's what they've been trying to do since the election.  Douchebag.
Not gonna work though.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Are you stoned?  Since they were elected Hamas has waged civil war with Fatah, kidnapped Israeli soldiers, fired rockets at Israeli settlements and dug tunnels for gun smuggling.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2009, 06:33:06 PM
Are you stoned?  Since they were elected Hamas has waged civil war with Fatah, kidnapped Israeli soldiers, fired rockets at Israeli settlements and dug tunnels for gun smuggling.

They're slow learners.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 15, 2009, 06:33:06 PM

They've been killing Jews, which falls under the whole "courting favor with the West" thing with Europe.

Sheilbh

The other thing about that bolded part is that the Hamas leadership have become tangled in more and more sophistic lines about what they want with Israel.  So the latest line, I heard, was that they accept all previous Israeli-Palestinian deals.  And then they just kept on repeating that while the interviewer was asking whether they recognised Israel, a la Oslo.

I think this is why I've heard Mitchell wants to do something with Israel and Fatah.  If they give the impression of progress then Hamas seems to be in the sort of mood were they don't want to be left behind.  It's a problem of running a state I suppose.

Having been reading about the French Revolution lately this sort of story reminds me of the moment when the Montagne found that it was the Establishment having to deal with more extremist annoyances on the left.
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

hamas,  being muslims, will lie through their teeth if it allows them to destroy the jews, then the christians and then the rest.

Siege

You guys realize Hamas is a sect, right?
They are in the far fringe of the muslim world, and many see them as a heresy, but useful to fight Teh Eviel Israel.

Hamas themselves see are crazy enough to wage war against anybody that oppousses them in any way, including religious dogma, for lack of a better word.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Siege on August 16, 2009, 02:44:05 PM
They are in the far fringe of the muslim world, and many see them as a heresy, but useful to fight Teh Eviel Israel.
What's the nature of their heresy? :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Huh?  I didn't realize there was anything theological about Hamas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on August 16, 2009, 09:31:24 PM

Huh?  I didn't realize there was anything theological about Hamas.

they're apparently an offshoot of the Muslim Brotherhood, but I guess that's common knowledge.

Viking

Siege called HAMAS (it's an acronym fools) a sect. It is reasonable to ask what difference there is between HAMAS' beliefs and mainstream Sunni beliefs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on August 17, 2009, 02:05:44 AM
I thought Hamas was an Arabic boysband.  :huh:
It's not, it's a Palestinian terrorist organization.