Russian postal workers to let police open mail

Started by jimmy olsen, August 15, 2009, 12:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Lovely. <_<

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g68XFfHJSg-DvFTMh3FhF53VHbVAD99JJRH00
QuoteRussian postal workers to let police open mail

By KARINA IOFFEE (AP) – Jul 22, 2009

MOSCOW — The Russian government has issued an order telling postal workers that police and security agents have a right to open mail, causing alarm among rights advocates who fear a return to the Soviet-era tactics of the KGB.

The Communications Ministry said the order, which went into effect Tuesday, does not expand the powers of investigators, since they still need to obtain a court's permission as required by law if they want to open letters or packages.

But rights advocates said the order is unconstitutional because it does not mention the need for court permission. The document, filling two pages in small print, explains in detail to postal workers that investigators have access to the mail and postal data bases, and can demand a separate work space within post offices.

Critics said the new order is dangerous because it has the potential to further embolden Russia's security services, who have grown increasingly powerful under Vladimir Putin, the former president who is now prime minister.

The Moscow Helsinki Group and other prominent rights groups sent a letter to the Justice Ministry saying that the order directly contradicts the constitution and federal laws because it infringes on the right to privacy. The letter demanded the order be changed.

The Communications Ministry defended the order.

"This document does not expand the power of the security agencies conducting investigations ... and in no way violates the rights of postal service employees or human rights," ministry spokeswoman Yulia Bulankina said in a written statement.

The ministry then posted a document on its Web site spelling out under what conditions investigators can open mail and making clear that they need a court order.

Viktor Parshutkin, a lawyer specializing in criminal law, said the order was a clear violation of the constitution. Security agents often are unable to present the evidence necessary to get a court order, he said, suggesting that some may prefer to try to skirt the law.

"The security agencies are among the least controlled groups in Russia," Parshutkin said. "They are some of the most aggressive and irresponsible people, and present a danger to civil society."

Many Russians were not aware of the recent order. Some said they were outraged, but others were more blase, saying they assumed their personal information was easily accessible already.

"I'm more concerned about how low my pension is and the high cost of medicine," said Valentina, an 82-year-old retired teacher. "If they want to look in my mail, I have nothing to hide."

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

The Associated Press
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

That's a global trend anyway. In Western countries of course the government only has to read e-communication since no one uses snail mail anymore.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

The article has conflicting information on whether or not they need a court order. If they need a court order, that's not exactly newsworthy as Western police does the same. Or is the post secret in America completely inviolable no matter what?

Richard Hakluyt

Hardly surprising that a repressive dump like Russia adopts such measures, when a "free" country like the UK feels free to spy on it's citizens with any means at their disposal for no particular reason.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 15, 2009, 01:44:50 PM
Hardly surprising that a repressive dump like Russia adopts such measures, when a "free" country like the UK feels free to spy on it's citizens with any means at their disposal for no particular reason.

I had this feeling that people was watching me in the UK.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

It does not matter what the law says, if "they" want to open your mail "they" will open your mail.

"They" just hate getting caught.
humans were created in their own image

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

derspiess

I'll file this under "things I assumed already to be the case - Russia" file.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on August 15, 2009, 12:46:51 PM
The article has conflicting information on whether or not they need a court order. If they need a court order, that's not exactly newsworthy as Western police does the same. Or is the post secret in America completely inviolable no matter what?

The instruction to postal workers doesn't mention a need for a court order. The law may require it but who do you think a postal worker in Russia is going to listen to? His boss, his minister and KGB on one hand, or human rights advocates and constitutional judges on the other hand?

Germans: Naive about Russia since 1918.

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2009, 03:15:15 AM
The instruction to postal workers doesn't mention a need for a court order. The law may require it but who do you think a postal worker in Russia is going to listen to? His boss, his minister and KGB on one hand, or human rights advocates and constitutional judges on the other hand?

The investigators need a court order though. If you think they don't abide the law and that postmen are more likely to listen to them than to judges anyway, what has changed with this new instruction?

PS: Why 1918? What historical event does that refer to? :huh:

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 16, 2009, 03:15:15 AM
I would say the Germans weren't naive about Russian people when they were liquidating vast swathes of them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

What a blow for postal workers.  It used to be that only they had the right to open mail, if it looked like there were dollar bills inside it.

MadImmortalMan

"I'm more concerned about how low my pension is and the high cost of medicine," said Valentina, an 82-year-old retired teacher. "If they want to look in my mail, I have nothing to hide."

People like this are the problem with everything.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2009, 12:05:17 PM

People like this are the problem with everything.
That's just how Russians think, especially the old and decrepid ones that were raised in Soviet Union.  The concept of thinking in terms of personal rights is just so completely foreign to them, they're just incapable of grasping it.  Even the ones who aren't as overtly retarded as the old folks are passive and fatalistic about protecting their rights.

The Brain

How can they be sure the workers are postal?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.