And we're back!

Main Menu

What makes a person a particular race?

Started by merithyn, August 13, 2009, 09:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

Quote from: derspiess on August 15, 2009, 07:15:40 PM
Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2009, 01:55:15 PM
So wait meri is planning on apply to school as white hispanic?

So I guess I should start calling her mrs. Dorsey4heisman.

So Meri = wannabeaner?  :unsure:

Vanillabeaner? Whiteback?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on August 15, 2009, 01:55:15 PM
So wait meri is planning on apply to school as white hispanic?

So I guess I should start calling her mrs. Dorsey4heisman.

I'm intending to talk to the admissions Dean about the possibility based on my background. If she gives the okay, then I will, otherwise, no. I'm not interested in committing fraud.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on August 16, 2009, 09:07:36 PM
I was sure it was this one.

:lol:

I'd go ahead and tell you which thread, but I forgot.  :blush:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 16, 2009, 09:12:58 PM
Quote from: Siege on August 16, 2009, 09:07:36 PM
I was sure it was this one.

:lol:

I'd go ahead and tell you which thread, but I forgot.  :blush:
What the hell is he looking for?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

dps

Martim Silva

Quote from: merithyn on August 14, 2009, 04:52:34 PM
since race is a social construct anyway, my opinion is a valid as anyone else's - that culture can and should be a valued part in deciding who belongs to which racial group.

If "race" is a social construct, then why can a lab determine someone's race just by analysing a vial of its blood? How can society "construct" the contents of a vial, exactly?

And if it is a social construct, then I would like to know how I and my girlfriend, both brown-haired and brown-eyed, mediterranean skin and with families composed soley of similar people, could 'socially construct' ourselves a blonde, blue-eyed, light-skinned child (naturally ours, no adoption). I am certainly interested in 'constructing' that between us.

Quote from: Martinus on August 15, 2009, 03:36:48 AM
I'm pretty sure races do not differ at a molecular level. :D

They do. DNA is molecular.

People interested in knowing their origin(s) [in the case of multiple heritages], can test themselves in many labs.

http://dnaconsultants.com/Detailed/332.html

(if you're farily sure you're only european, go here: http://dnaconsultants.com/Detailed/426.html)

Or

http://www.dnaheritage.com/mtdna.asp
(for mithochondrial DNA, via female line)

http://www.dnaheritage.com/ysnp.asp
(For Y-chromosome for males)

Map of the major human groups: http://www.dnaheritage.com/oracle/MitoMap_Letter.pdf

Quote from: DNA Lab
Each population around the world has their own long journey to tell of. Whether they stayed within Africa or took the path out of Africa, we can now track these movements with the aid of genetics.

Your DNA has changed slightly over the past 80 thousand years. We call these changes SNP's (pronounced 'snips' and short for 'Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms'). Each SNP is a change in the DNA code at one single letter. These changes only happen once in history at any one place along the DNA and can be thought of as a fork in the road.

If one brother had this SNP mutation, and another didn't, the brothers go separate ways. Because each of their sons respective sons will have these different mutations, and all of their descendants, we end up with two large branches of the Y-chromosome tree

If some people then traveled out of Africa they took this Y-chromosome mutation, this identifying branch with them.

If we fast forward to the present day, we now see many of these large branches all around the globe. We call these branches 'haplogroups' and we label them Haplgroup A through to Haplogroup R.

We see Haplogroup A in Africa, Haplogroup D in East Asia, Haplogroup H in India, Haplogroup I in Europe, Haplogroup M in Indonesia and Haplogroup Q in North America. And many others.

Molecular Biology has found and taught us much these last decades.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

So, can they test me to see if I'm a Jedi?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Jedi MtDNA is awsome, filled with little Mitachondrichlorians.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on August 17, 2009, 05:33:53 PM
Merithyn, you fucking carpetbagger.

I thought she was contemplating a move to Canada, if anywhere.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 17, 2009, 05:08:56 PM
Jedi MtDNA is awsome, filled with little Mitachondrichlorians.

I'll borrow one of my nephew's lightsabres. I'd rather be a Sith though as the jedi are the Gestapo of the Old Republic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive