If you don't hear from Tonitrus and I again....

Started by katmai, March 23, 2009, 04:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

:D

Mount Redoubt erupts 3 times in 2 hours

By GEORGE BRYSON
[email protected]

Published: March 22nd, 2009 11:33 PM
Last Modified: March 23rd, 2009 12:59 AM

Long threatening Mount Redoubt erupted about 10:38 p.m. Sunday, then again at 11:02 p.m., and 12:14 a.m. today sending an ash cloud an estimated 50,000 feet into the air.
Redoubt information

Volcano facts
Location: West of Cook Inlet, 103 miles southwest of Anchorage
Type: Stratovolcano
Height: 10,197 feet
Last erupted: 1989-90

Winds were expected to carry the ash plume north toward the Susitna Valley, possibly missing Anchorage to the east, the National Weather Service said.

“It looks like (Anchorage) might dodge the bullet,” Alaska Volcano Observatory geophysicist Peter Cervelli said.

Observatory staffers notified Federal Aviation Administration officials immediately following the eruption.

“They’re aware of the situation,” Cervelli said.

The AVO staff also warned authorities at the Drift River Oil Terminal -- on the western shore of Cook Inlet downriver from the volcano -- that mud flows and flooding from melting glaciers might be headed their way.

Protective dikes have been constructed at the terminal since Redoubt last erupted in 1989.

For two hours, prior to the eruption, scientists at the Alaska Volcano Observatory had noticed seismicity at Redoubt has increased significantly and reported at the heightened levels there could be a quick escalation to eruptive activity.

The volcano had been on Orange "watch" status for most of Sunday after activity began increasing Saturday.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Sarah Palin will save the day, don't worry. 8)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

katmai

Well it's middle of night still so can't tell if we will get any ash, it's up to 4 eruptions so far and Airlines are cancelling flights as my dad was suppose to fly home from San Antonio tonight but US Airways have cancelled his flight from Phoenix already. So they put him on flight for Tuesday.

KRonn

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

lustindarkness

Make sure you go down filming, about time you film something worthy. Now I hope Tonitrus makes it ok.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

katmai

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 23, 2009, 08:42:37 AM
Make sure you go down filming, about time you film something worthy. Now I hope Tonitrus makes it ok.

>:(

QuoteElmendorf Air Force Base in Anchorage told only essential personnel to report to work. The Air Force says 60 planes, including fighter jets, cargo aircraft and a 747 commercial plane, are being sheltered.

So i expect to hear from our man in the Chair force anytime.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on March 23, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Alas, I am "essential personnel"...

katmai

Tonitrus

Quote from: katmai on March 23, 2009, 08:44:54 AM

Alas, I am "essential personnel"...

The day ho's get the day off.  On the other hand, the eruption is a good thing, as it canceled Blues Monday*.

*The recent requirement to wear our crappy, uncomfortable service uniform on Mondays.
[/quote]