News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Activists, actors, athletics honored by Obama

Started by garbon, August 12, 2009, 02:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090812/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_medal_of_freedom

QuotePresident Barack Obama is presenting the nation's highest civilian honor to 16 actors, athletes, activists, scientists and humanitarians.

Among those receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony Wednesday are film star Sidney Poitier, civil rights leader Rev. Joseph Lowery and tennis legend Billie Jean King.

Others being honored are retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and retired Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa.

Sen. Edward M. Kennedy is getting the medal, too, but the Massachusetts Democrat is not at the White House due to his fight against brain cancer.

Posthumous awards are going to former Republican Rep. Jack Kemp of New York and gay rights activist Harvey Milk.

I'm glad that Fat Ted is getting honored.

Oh and for Fae, Marty, etc, look at our strong supporter. He's honoring a dead gay guy. :swiss:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2009, 02:35:31 PM
Medal of French? Weird name.

In memory of Field Marshall John French, 1st Earl of Ypres.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

QuoteSidney Poitier
:thumbsup:

QuoteRev. Joseph Lowery
:bleeding:

QuoteBillie Jean King
:x

QuoteSandra Day O'Connor
:mellow:

QuoteDesmond Tutu
:bash:

QuoteEdward M. Kennedy
:ultra:

QuoteJack Kemp
:thumbsup:

QuoteHarvey Milk
:rolleyes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 03:00:06 PM
QuoteHarvey Milk
:rolleyes:

Hey, with luck (from your point of view) that'll be the only gay "change" he'll enact. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Yeah, the Ted Kennedy thing is an outrage.  HE'S A DRUNK AND A MURDERER, YOU MORONS.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

It is a testament to our great nation that even after negligently killing young woman you are trying to have sex with, you can still go on to receive an award like this.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2009, 03:09:11 PM
It is a testament to our great nation that even after negligently killing young woman you are trying to have sex with, you can still go on to receive an award like this.

You don't think that Kennedy has made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural, or other significant public or private endeavors"?

Valmy

QuoteDesmond Tutu

His rather black and white (no pun intended) views on Israel are rather frustrating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I can't figure out why Obama so openly and flagrantly worships the guy.  He's nothing but a massive pile of baggage.  I mean, why the fuck was he given that big central role at the DNC last year?  I don't recall Clinton ever doing anything like that with Uncle Teddy.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:10:42 PM

You don't think that Kennedy has made "an especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States, world peace, cultural, or other significant public or private endeavors"?

Of course he hasn't. Unless you count being a Kennedy and getting cancer as "especially meritorious...etcetcetc"
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 03:06:24 PM
Hey, with luck (from your point of view) that'll be the only gay "change" he'll enact. ;)

Yeah, enjoy the bone he tossed your way :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 12, 2009, 03:13:15 PM
Of course he hasn't. Unless you count being a Kennedy and getting cancer as "especially meritorious...etcetcetc"

Wikipedia says that he helped pass the National Cancer Act of 1971.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 03:13:29 PM
Yeah, enjoy the bone he tossed your way :P

There are only two things that Obama could do that I would enjoy: a) resign, or b) give me 40 acres and a mule*.

*because of the one drop rule, I don't think my bi-racial heritage should cut my claim in half.