Activists, actors, athletics honored by Obama

Started by garbon, August 12, 2009, 02:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2009, 05:52:46 PM
Oh and BURN IN HELL JACK KEMP.
Remind me why you hate Jack Kemp so much?  I mean, I think I can probably guess, but...  ;)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on August 12, 2009, 08:00:43 PM
Remind me why you hate Jack Kemp so much?  I mean, I think I can probably guess, but...  ;)

http://www.thetaskforce.org/press/releases/pr188_081096

QuoteJACK KEMP'S RECORD ON GAY AND AIDS ISSUES

OPPOSED the Supreme Court decision overturing Colorado's Amendment Two, a state ballot initiative that outlawed civil rights protection for gay people. "Clearly in my opinion however, I'm not as clear as I would like it to be -- I think Justice Kennedy was wrong in suggesting that the people of Colorado had an animosity toward gay people. What they were basically saying, they shouldn't get special rights." May 25, 1996 - Capital Gang Saturday - CNN

OPPOSED a union-negotiated non-discrimination policy and limited family benefits for gay couples at HUD in 1992. After the contract was negotiated with the American Federation of Government Employees, HUD Secretary Jack Kemp wrote the union in March 1990 saying he would not approve the contract "because the clause has been widely viewed as extending domestic partnership benefits to gay and lesbian employees." Kemp also objected to the anti-discrimination provision on the grounds that it went beyond existing federal law. September 18., 1992 - The Washington Post

FAVORS firing teachers who are gay. "I would suggest that we want all Americans to enjoy civil liberties and the right to privacy, and we have to at the same time recognize that there have to be public standards. I think a school board should have the right to choose what type of example we have for our children in public schools." December 20, 1987 - Interview with David Frost as reported by the Washington Post

CREATES AND SUPPORTS arch-conservative, right wing policy as a Distinguished Fellow of the Heritage Foundation, the preeminent think tank of the Right.

DID NOT SUPPORT expansion of civil rights protections, including those for people with contagious diseases such as HIV, by voting to sustain President Reagan's veto of the 1988 Civil Rights Restoration Act in the 100th Congress. Jerry Falwell had launched a disinformation campaign around the vote termed "unmatched by any other in recent memory" by Members of Congress. (S.557, 1988)

SIDED WITH NOTORIOUS ANTI-GAY Congressman William Dannemeyer's attempts to repeal the D.C. AIDS Insurance Bill and an amendment that would have provided a religious exemption to the D.C. Human Rights Ordinance against discrimination based on sexual orientation (H.R. 4776, 1988).

SUPPORTED REP. DANNEMEYER'S attempts to pass legislation that mandated the reporting of names of individuals who tested positive for HIV/AIDS (H.R.5142, 1988).

SUPPORTED MEASURE REQUIRING PHYSICIANS and counselors to notify spouses of HIV infected individuals (H.R. 5142, 1988) .

SAT OUT historic votes on Hate Crime Statistics Act (H.R. 3192) and Fair Housing Amendments Act (H.R. 1158).

PLAYED INTO GAY BAITING by overreacting to rumors about his sexual orientation stemming from a 1967 New York Times article by Drew Pearson exposing a "homosexual ring" in California Governor Ronald Reagan's administration. "Rep. Jack Kemp's political handlers, in a state of shock since he was asked last week on NBC's "Today" whether he had ever had a homosexual experience, will screen future interviews and bar any that go into the old slanders against him." March 17, 1986 - San Diego Union - Tribune
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

In other words, he pisses off The Task Force <gasp> 

:wub: Jack Kemp
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 07:20:21 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2009, 07:13:05 PM
Will no-one respect the Anglican Communion :weep:
You can't respect someone who doesn't respect themself.

QFT.  My church split away eons ago :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 09:56:13 PM

I think several of his stances are reprehensible but understandable given the ignorance that was apparently swirling about at that time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 12, 2009, 09:56:13 PM

I think several of his stances are reprehensible but understandable given the ignorance that was apparently swirling about at that time.

Well it sounds to me like the guy did go an extra mile.

I mean, if you accuse Reagan of being controlled by a gay cabal, you really ARE out there.

He is the equivalent of Strom Thurmond. Are you also as tolerant about his "reprehensible but understandable" stances?

garbon

Sure. After all, one can understand but not tolerate, which is what I do in the case of Kemp.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2009, 05:52:46 PM
Oh and BURN IN HELL JACK KEMP.
Remind me why you hate Jack Kemp so much?

Jealousy over all the times he got grabbed the asses of his offensive linemen, I would guess.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on August 12, 2009, 09:17:37 PM

http://www.thetaskforce.org/press/releases/pr188_081096

QuoteSUPPORTED REP. DANNEMEYER'S attempts to pass legislation that mandated the reporting of names of individuals who tested positive for HIV/AIDS (H.R.5142, 1988).

I had forgotten about Dannemeyer.  Easily the biggest nutbag in Congress during his day, notwithstanding the very stiff competition for that honor.  His antics were what first brought gay rights to my attention as a political issue.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on August 13, 2009, 01:57:14 AM
I mean, if you accuse Reagan of being controlled by a gay cabal, you really ARE out there.

QuotePLAYED INTO GAY BAITING by overreacting to rumors about his sexual orientation stemming from a 1967 New York Times article by Drew Pearson exposing a "homosexual ring" in California Governor Ronald Reagan's administration. "Rep. Jack Kemp's political handlers, in a state of shock since he was asked last week on NBC's "Today" whether he had ever had a homosexual experience, will screen future interviews and bar any that go into the old slanders against him." March 17, 1986 - San Diego Union - Tribune

Sounds more like he reacted negatively to rumors he was part of such a cabal.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Yes, because having an homosexual experience makes you part of a cabal. :rolleyes:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on August 13, 2009, 12:58:35 PM
Yes, because having an homosexual experience makes you part of a cabal. :rolleyes:

Well, at any rate it doesn't sound like Kemp was the one making that particular claim.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 13, 2009, 02:28:56 PM
Well, at any rate it doesn't sound like Kemp was the one making that particular claim.

Agreed.