Part Two: Russia takes on Ukraine (BB you will love this!)

Started by Martinus, August 12, 2009, 03:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2009, 11:43:06 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 10:51:20 AM
I think even the Red Chinese learned to be quiet during Taiwanese elections.  This can not possible be helpful for Medvedev.
Isn't the Ukrainian government pretty unpopular though?  I thought it had been a big disappointment after the Orange revolution.  I was under the impression it was riven by internal arguments and as corrupt as the previous government.
Just because the current government isn't popular is no reason for the people to want to subject themselves to genocide.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: DGuller on August 12, 2009, 11:45:12 AM
Yes, it's extremely unpopular.  I don't think Russian interference is going to hurt them, though.
I don't know.  Does the government's popularity increase when Russia turns off the gas in winter? 

Also just given Ukraine's place in the world and its dependence on Russian gas shouldn't their government always make an effort not to annoy Russia too much?  I think it would be foolhardy of, say, Mongolia to not treat Russia and China with deference.  Or Nepal to be delicate when dealing with the Chinese or the Indians.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 12, 2009, 12:15:13 PM
Yes, it's extremely unpopular.  I don't think Russian interference is going to hurt them, though.
I don't know.  Does the government's popularity increase when Russia turns off the gas in winter? 

Also just given Ukraine's place in the world and its dependence on Russian gas shouldn't their government always make an effort not to annoy Russia too much?  I think it would be foolhardy of, say, Mongolia to not treat Russia and China with deference.  Or Nepal to be delicate when dealing with the Chinese or the Indians.
Emotion is a powerful force.  Very few countries do things out of straight up self-interest.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

It sure brings people together.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on August 12, 2009, 12:31:31 PM
Emotion is a powerful force.  Very few countries do things out of straight up self-interest.
Very true.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

But this doesn't sound like Ukraine is needlessly picking fights with Russia, it's more that Russia expects total subservience from Ukraine.   :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 12:41:26 PM
But this doesn't sound like Ukraine is needlessly picking fights with Russia, it's more that Russia expects total subservience from Ukraine.   :huh:
I'm not sure total subservience is fair, but yeah.
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Weak European countries always expect there more powerful neighburs to protect them from their enemies. They don't seem to grasp that it never works.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Neil

Quote from: HVC on August 12, 2009, 04:52:42 PM

Weak European countries always expect there more powerful neighburs to protect them from their enemies. They don't seem to grasp that it never works.
The Ukraine is probably militarily more powerful than any European country except for France and the UK.  If its neighbour wasn't brutal, hypernationalist, militaristic Russia, they'd be pretty safe.

I bet you the Ukraine regrets giving The Bomb back to Russia when the USSR broke up.

KRonn

Ukraine needs to join NATO as soon as possible, get under the protective umbrella. Then maybe Poland, Romania, Baltic States and others of the former Eastern Block could go to Ukraine's aid, get some pay back on the Russkies! Then again, Russia should join NATO also; that'd be interesting. 

Martinus

Well I don't know but as far as I am aware most people do not like being bullied by foreign powers.

Ed Anger

Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2009, 06:12:48 PM
Ukraine needs to join NATO as soon as possible, get under the protective umbrella. Then maybe Poland, Romania, Baltic States and others of the former Eastern Block could go to Ukraine's aid, get some pay back on the Russkies! Then again, Russia should join NATO also; that'd be interesting.

No American blood for Eastern Europeans.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on August 12, 2009, 12:41:26 PM

That's true.

That being said, it is often difficult for Westerners to understand the Central-Eastern Europe politics, because it is so deeply entrenched in history.

I think Ukraine's position is a bit precarious, though, if it tries to delve too much into "historical politics". This is because their anti-Russian history current is also anti-Polish and at least on its face pro-nazi, so they are not going to make any friends that way in Europe.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 12, 2009, 06:20:29 PM
Quote from: KRonn on August 12, 2009, 06:12:48 PM

No American blood for Eastern Europeans.
This is a good point.  While large parts of Eastern Europe are racially Russian (Poland, for example), the Ukraine has a huge community of Russian speakers that doesn't suffer any legal disadvantage.  At least the Balts have the good sense to make the Russians second-class citizens.

By admitting the Ukraine, we're putting allowing our enemies into the fold.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 12, 2009, 06:23:27 PM
I think Ukraine's position is a bit precarious, though, if it tries to delve too much into "historical politics". This is because their anti-Russian history current is also anti-Polish and at least on its face pro-nazi, so they are not going to make any friends that way in Europe.
Maybe, but Europe doesn't really matter.  They can't provide anything for the Ukraine.  What they need is a bilateral security agreement with the US.