Previous topic - Next topic

Ever owned any?

Yes
7 (41.2%)
No
10 (58.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Admiral Yi

For the uninformed highwaters are pants that fit at one point but the wearer grew out of but continues to wear.

I'm a missionary kid and I went to school with a lot of missionary kids.  Virtually everyone wore highwaters.  The poor kids whose fathers worked for really cheap-ass churches wore highwaters that went halfway up the shin.

It struck me that I haven't seen a kid wearing highwaters in...forever.  Was it only a missionary thing?  Have times changed in the US too, do poor families now buy new pants regardless?  What's the Yuro take on the highwater issue?

Lucidor

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 04:58:29 AM
For the uninformed highwaters are pants that fit at one point but the wearer grew out of but continues to wear.

I'm a missionary kid and I went to school with a lot of missionary kids.  Virtually everyone wore highwaters.  The poor kids whose fathers worked for really cheap-ass churches wore highwaters that went halfway up the shin.

It struck me that I haven't seen a kid wearing highwaters in...forever.  Was it only a missionary thing?  Have times changed in the US too, do poor families now buy new pants regardless?  What's the Yuro take on the highwater issue?
I thought poor people wore baggy pants nowadays.

Brazen

Trousers are still too short, but you can't tell as young folk wear them hanging halfway off their arses.

Ideologue

Most of the pants I've ever owned haven't really fit correctly, because no one makes 32 X 31s.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Josquius

I've never heard this term. We'd say has your budgie died.

And no, as a kid you cannot wear such trousers, its a sure fire way to get picked on.
██████
██████
██████

swallow

I haven't seen them for a long time either (except as play clothes round the garden and school uniform, because the shops don't seem to stock them sometimes), we have got a pretty good benefits system going here and there's always been a lot of pass me down, hand me round.  Neither have I seen peep toes - cut  the end off shoes with a bread knife to keep them fitting. 

CountDeMoney

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 05:25:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2009, 05:20:41 AM
We'd say has your budgie died.
:huh:
Budgies look like they're wearing short trousers.
I've no clue how that makes it your budgies have died though. Kids aren't known for logic.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Highwaters? I wore a potato sack growing up - and there were still potatoes in it.

saskganesh

we called them floodpants.
humans were created in their own image

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2009, 05:52:06 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2009, 05:25:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2009, 05:20:41 AM
We'd say has your budgie died.
:huh:
Budgies look like they're wearing short trousers.
I've no clue how that makes it your budgies have died though. Kids aren't known for logic.

The confusion is over what the fuck a budgie is...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jos Theelen

I have 3 older brothers. I could always get one of their trousers.

BVN

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 11, 2009, 06:39:55 AM
"Eau dans la cave"
This, but then in Dutch

Nowadays you can buy very cheap pants, made in South-East Asian sweat shops. So 'poor' people buy new, fitting pants. However these pants mostly look horrible and cheap...