News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Giant Isopod

Started by FunkMonk, March 22, 2009, 10:01:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

In the spirit of Malthus' strange animal threads, I present to you giant isopod.

Looks disgusting. And Evil.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Remember, the uglier the thing from the sea is the tastier it is :contract:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Grey Fox

Compound eyes are always freaky
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 22, 2009, 10:06:49 PM
Compound eyes are always freaky
The first pic does look cool. Like Mercury coated eyes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Queequeg

Deep sea gigantism strikes again.  God, what a disgusting creature. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tonitrus

Caliga

Isn't that thing like a giant ocean-dwelling bedbug, basically?  IIRC it's closely related to bedbugs, or public lice, or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

It would be a bitch to wake up one morning and find that gnawing on your balls.  On the plus side a chick covered with those things would be relatively easy to spot.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

FunkMonk

Quote from: Caliga on March 23, 2009, 04:44:24 AM
Isn't that thing like a giant ocean-dwelling bedbug, basically?  IIRC it's closely related to bedbugs, or public lice, or something.
Yeah, it's related to the woodlouse. I think the movie Cloverfield based its creepy-crawlies on these... things.  :o
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I never knew Gregor Samsa had children.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

So...what is this thing? Where is it from?
Surely not deep sea- its surviving on land there....And don't deep sea things explode even at higher sea levels?...but...everything checks out saying it is indeed where its from. Odd.
██████
██████
██████

Fireblade

QuoteGiant isopods are of little interest to most commercial fisheries owing to the typical paucity of catches and because ensnared isopods are usually scavenged beyond marketability before they are recovered. However, in Northern Taiwan and other areas, they are not uncommon at seaside restaurants, served boiled and bisected with a clean lateral slice. The white meat, similar to crab or lobster in texture, is then easily removed.

That's fucked up.

Malthus

Oh man, that's horrifying.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius