Chavez tells military to be prepared for conflict

Started by jimmy olsen, August 10, 2009, 08:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Valmy on August 10, 2009, 08:39:27 AM
Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2009, 08:36:26 AM
Accordingly I doubt Chavez is that much of a idiot.

What do you base those doubts on?  General Euro Chavez dick sucking?
He lives in the real world.
He knows he can get away with talking shit about the US and they won't do much but it's unlikely he seriously believes a war with the US could end up well.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

This thread needs that Martim Silva guy to talk about how Chavez's invincible legions will grind the Columbians into finely graded coca powder.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on August 10, 2009, 09:59:09 AM
He lives in the real world.
He knows he can get away with talking shit about the US and they won't do much but it's unlikely he seriously believes a war with the US could end up well.

What will be interesting to see is how well his anti-US rants continue to play well within Latin America without Bush as president.  He got a lot of mileage out of slamming Bush *and* the US, and now he's having to walk a tightrope in his rhetoric by slamming the US but not singling out Obama.

FWIW, I've gone back & forth on it, but at the moment I would almost give even odds that Chavez starts a shooting war at some point.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

............................................______  __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?...........................  ...........................\,
.................../..................................................  .........,}
................./..................................................  ....,:`^`..}
.............../..................................................  .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................  .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`.....  ..._/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....  }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|...........  ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,..............  .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........  ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\       

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2009, 10:25:46 AM
............................................______  __
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?...........................  ...........................\,
.................../..................................................  .........,}
................./..................................................  ....,:`^`..}
.............../..................................................  .,:"........./
..............?.....__............................  .............:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`.....  ..._/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.\`~,......"~.,....................`.....  }............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|...........  ...`=~-,
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
................................`:,,..............  .............`\..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_\........  ..._,-%.......`\
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\       
Have some time to kill?
PDH!

Iormlund

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 10, 2009, 09:16:23 AM
What's the Spanish word for Wolverines?
Glotón (pl. glotones) which literally means glutton.

Razgovory

Must be a slow news day when the breaking story is that head of government tells his military they should be prepared.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Iormlund on August 10, 2009, 02:12:45 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 10, 2009, 09:16:23 AM
What's the Spanish word for Wolverines?
Glotón (pl. glotones) which literally means glutton.

I prefer "carcayú" myself, which was AFAIK the name used in South American translations of the X Men.  :lol:

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2009, 10:23:19 AM
What will be interesting to see is how well his anti-US rants continue to play well within Latin America without Bush as president.  He got a lot of mileage out of slamming Bush *and* the US, and now he's having to walk a tightrope in his rhetoric by slamming the US but not singling out Obama.
Why would he have to worry about slamming Obama?  Sure, it might alienate his supporters in the Democratic Party, as well as the useful idiots in Europe, but since his primary goal (like all dictators) is to hold onto power, demonizing Obama is probably more useful to him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

KRonn

Chavez is doomed!    ;)   While he was cozying up to the Ruskies, getting a port visit by a few Russian ships, the US has been cozying up with Colombia, working and helping them to successfully fight the insurgents and drug cartels for some years now. So now Chavez has a more capable Colombian military on his border, besides US units and military assets on Colombian bases as well.    :cool: 

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on August 11, 2009, 08:43:12 AM
Why would he have to worry about slamming Obama?  Sure, it might alienate his supporters in the Democratic Party, as well as the useful idiots in Europe,

You're forgetting Latin America, where Bush may have been hated but Obama is not.  Obama is actually admired by quite a few moderate leftists in the region (and in Venezuela), who might otherwise buy into Chavez's BS.  So he's got a balancing act to do.

Quotebut since his primary goal (like all dictators) is to hold onto power, demonizing Obama is probably more useful to him.

He has to demonize someone, sure.  But I don't think he would get nearly as much mileage out of Obama as he did with Bush, and he knows it.  I have a feeling his propaganda line will evolve into "Obama may be a well-intentioned progressive, but he is ultimately powerless against the evil Yanqui capitalist oligarchs." 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: KRonn on August 11, 2009, 08:53:28 AM
Chavez is doomed!    ;)   While he was cozying up to the Ruskies, getting a port visit by a few Russian ships, the US has been cozying up with Colombia, working and helping them to successfully fight the insurgents and drug cartels for some years now. So now Chavez has a more capable Colombian military on his border, besides US units and military assets on Colombian bases as well.    :cool: 

I kinda would like to see him try something, to see how his peasant rabble fares against US-trained Colombians.  I'm sure the Colombians might like the opportunity to turn some of those captured FARC AT-4s back against Chavez :D