Can you swim?

Started by merithyn, August 09, 2009, 01:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Read the topic

Yes, like a fish!
Enough to keep my head above water
No

merithyn

Recently I've met several people who do not know how to swim. Their argument is that they grew up in the midwest, so they never had the chance to learn. I cry bullshit, since I grew up in Des Moines, IA, and swim like a fish. (Okay, more like a whale lately, but I still don't drown.)

So it got me wondering. How many of you guys know how to swim?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Tamas

Mr.Penguin

Swim like a fish, taught as part of my upbringing...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Darth Wagtaros

They don't have swimmin' pools in the Midwest?
PDH!

merithyn

Yeah, same here. Mom insisted that we learn to swim despite (because of?) Dad's near total fear of water. We spent every summer in the pool, and while we had formal lessons, most of what we learned came from just playing around in the pool or at the beach.

merithyn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 09, 2009, 02:01:39 PM
They don't have swimmin' pools in the Midwest?

Yes, we do. People are just stoopid.  <_<

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Of course I do.

Quebecers are big on pools.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Yes, I can swim.  It seems weird that some people can't.  Like not knowing how to walk or ride a bike.

Caliga

:huh: Yes, I learned to swim when I was a little kid at the shore, but they made everyone take swim classes in school, so I didn't know anyone at all growing up who didn't know how.  I guess I kinda assumed everyone did, really.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on August 09, 2009, 02:24:27 PM
:huh: Yes, I learned to swim when I was a little kid at the shore, but they made everyone take swim classes in school, so I didn't know anyone at all growing up who didn't know how.  I guess I kinda assumed everyone did, really.

That's kind of what I thought, too. But apparently we were both mistaken.

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on August 09, 2009, 02:22:16 PM
Yes, I can swim.  It seems weird that some people can't.  Like not knowing how to walk or ride a bike.

I've met a quite a few people who don't know how to ride a bike, too. This was up in Chicago, though, not down here.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

merithyn

Josquius

I can a bit but I tend to swim underwater. 'tis better.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Not particularly fast (anymore  :cry:), but I can swim.

Never figured out that dolphin style though.