News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bishop of Bath and Wells Darwin Debate

Started by swallow, August 09, 2009, 04:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swallow

http://www.bathandwells.org.uk/bishops_message/documents/025Darwindebate20-03-09.doc
I thought this was a good speech - it was the last bit about accepting integrity vs belief that worked for me

QuoteThe celebration of Darwin's bicentenary would be deeply enriched by a common commitment to cosmic peace. For those of us who believe that in the end everything both comes from and goes back to God, that can be our contribution; for those whose integrity does not let them make that step, then our common journey must be one of wonder, respect for mystery and a commitment to the welfare of the planet and its future. If that were to happen, this celebration would be truly valuable for the future of humanity.

The Brain

Sorry, Blackadder ruined the bishop of Bath and Wells for me.  :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

What the fuck does integrity have to do with whether one believes in God or not?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

swallow

Its not believing in something just because you're told by someone it exists.  He's not trying to alienate his own, he's trying his best here.

swallow

Quote from: The Brain on August 09, 2009, 04:57:41 AM
Sorry, Blackadder ruined the bishop of Bath and Wells for me.  :(
I'm told (by an unreliable source) that he is often followed round by that music

Solmyr

alfred russel

It sounds like a plea for mercy from the bishop in the religion vs. science culture war.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2009, 10:28:47 AM
It sounds like a plea for mercy from the bishop in the religion vs. science culture war.
The CofE don't really have any part in that culture war.  They're entirely comfortable with most science.
Let's bomb Russia!

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 09, 2009, 10:43:46 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2009, 10:28:47 AM
The CofE don't really have any part in that culture war.  They're entirely comfortable with most science.

They did at one point. They just lost their battle and were reduced to comments like those starting this thread earlier than other locales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1860_Oxford_evolution_debate
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Octavian

If you let someone handcuff you, and put a rope around your neck, don't act all surprised if they hang you!

- Eyal Yanilov.

Forget about winning and losing; forget about pride and pain. Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh; let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones; let him fracture your bones and you take his life. Do not be concerned with escaping safely - lay your life before him.

- Bruce Lee

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 09, 2009, 05:09:33 AM
What the fuck does integrity have to do with whether one believes in God or not?

If you are convinced there is no God, you believing in God anyway, for whatever reason, wouldn't have much integrity to it.  I think that is what he is getting at.

I hear people say alot something like 'I wish there was a God but I just do not see the evidence that can support it' or some such.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: alfred russel on August 09, 2009, 11:01:01 AM
They did at one point. They just lost their battle and were reduced to comments like those starting this thread earlier than other locales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1860_Oxford_evolution_debate
Oh yeah, that debate's famous.  But the modern CofE has no issue with science and hasn't for a very long time.  There really is no science vs religion culture war in this country in terms of what science and religion think.  The only conflict is on certain ethical/moral issues, even then it's generally a pretty elevated debate with Bishops and Professors sparring through lectures and letters to the Times.
Let's bomb Russia!