Started by jimmy olsen, August 08, 2009, 12:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

:pirate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8191442.stm
Clashes rock Somali pirate port
A Somali pirate on board a French yacht on 10 April 2009
Pirates say they fear the clan conflict may affect their activities at sea

Overnight gun-battles between rival clans in a pirate stronghold on the coast of Somalia have left at least 17 dead and 30 injured, reports say.

Local residents in Haradheere fled as fighting, reportedly over land and the alleged rape of a woman, intensified.

Pirates who operate in the area, a port off the shipping lanes linking Europe to Asia, said they were worried the conflict could affect their activities.

Somalia, torn by civil war since 1991, lacks an effective central government.

"The two clans are fighting over land and a girl who was raped in the forest," a local man, Farah Aden, told Reuters news agency.

"Unfortunately, the battles spread into town. Fighting is going on fiercely."

A pirate, who gave his name as Mohammed, told Reuters that those involved in piracy around the port were concerned that their activities would be damaged.

"We are all members of these two clans, and we are worried that this fight might end up being taken out on to the ocean," he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Really, at this point it could not really be the Clash.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: PDH on August 08, 2009, 12:36:14 PM

Rock the Kasbah?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: PDH on August 08, 2009, 12:36:14 PM

Yeah they would never play that kind of venue.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Mohammed the Pirate? Pretty stupid to give your name like that.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2009, 02:53:20 PM
Agree.  In the Muslim world, very few men are named Mohammed.  Really narrows it down. :yes: ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on August 08, 2009, 04:51:02 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2009, 02:53:20 PM
Agree.  In the Muslim world, very few men are named Mohammed.  Really narrows it down. :yes: ^_^

An Egyptian friend told me that if you go into a lecture theatre at Cairo University and shout "hey Achmed!" half the people in the room turn around and if you should, "hey mohammed!" immediately after the rest of the people turn around slightly irritated that you got their name wrong the first time round.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.