a funny story I saw online. (concerning Bush & his pal Chirac! )

Started by BuddhaRhubarb, August 07, 2009, 09:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2009, 03:02:06 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2009, 02:54:41 PM
I agree, though if you'd told me about the Rummy briefings with Biblical quotes on the frontpage I would have thought that was nonsense too.  I understand why Romer and the author are saying it, it'll be good for book sales.  But what reason has Chirac to confirm it?
At this point we're working off secularhumanism.org's characterization of a Swiss newspaper's characterization of a French theology professor's characterization of a conversation between Chirac and Bush.

Also the author is insulting and a jackass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2009, 10:17:23 PM
I hate reading revelations, it is the most fucked up most out there shit in the whole Bible I can't believe the church fathers put that crap in the there.
Without doomsday prophecy and a very near, very scary apocalypse, they wouldn't really have much of a religion, would they?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2009, 02:54:41 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2009, 02:51:09 PM
Smells like bullshit, looks like bullshit.
I agree, though if you'd told me about the Rummy briefings with Biblical quotes on the frontpage I would have thought that was nonsense too.  I understand why Romer and the author are saying it, it'll be good for book sales.  But what reason has Chirac to confirm it?
Actually, having a bible quote on a brief is pretty standard fare.  Particularly any Staff brief, since the Chaplain will always put one in.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on August 10, 2009, 01:38:02 AM
How reliable is the source?

Apparently it's from a journalist who interviewed Chirac for a book.  The title of the book is "If you repeat this, I will deny it" so you takes your chances, to say the least.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

St. John is thought to have couched Revelations in code, meant for underground Christians.  Others think he was on teh opiates.  So his reliability is questionable either way.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 11, 2009, 09:10:35 AM
St. John is thought to have couched Revelations in code, meant for underground Christians.  Others think he was on teh opiates.  So his reliability is questionable either way.
:yes: Many of the protestant churches actually push the theology that Rev. is a coded letter describing the current political climate and "strongly encouraging" the seven churches to not make waves that could destroy the rest.
Experience bij!

Oexmelin

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 08, 2009, 03:23:10 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 08, 2009, 03:02:06 PM
At this point we're working off secularhumanism.org's characterization of a Swiss newspaper's characterization of a French theology professor's characterization of a conversation between Chirac and Bush.
And secularhumanism.org's characterisation of a 'lengthy interview' with Chirac in a recently released French book.

But I agree it strikes me as weird.  I can't find any translation of the section of the book, the only Chirac quotation I can find about superficial and fanatical belief.  But here's the relevant extract from the book's serialisation:
http://livres.lexpress.fr/premierespages.asp/idC=14730/idR=6/idG=8?XTOR=EPR-342

Said relevant extract is essentially translated in the article posted in the OP, and quoted as is elsewhere in the web. The book is mostly about Sarkozy, Villepin and Chirac. 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Maladict

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 10, 2009, 11:52:38 PM
Actually, having a bible quote on a brief is pretty standard fare.  Particularly any Staff brief, since the Chaplain will always put one in.

:blink:

Hansmeister

Quote from: Maladict on August 11, 2009, 11:09:47 AM
Quote from: Hansmeister on August 10, 2009, 11:52:38 PM

:blink:
Every unit has a chaplain on Staff, who will usually contribute a slide with a bible verse or religious quote to a brief.  That's pretty normal and standard at virtually all levels.  We're not Godless heathens, like you degenerated euroweenies, after all.

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2009, 12:58:33 PM
Every unit has a chaplain on Staff, who will usually contribute a slide with a bible verse or religious quote to a brief.  That's pretty normal and standard at virtually all levels.  We're not Godless heathens, like you degenerated euroweenies, after all.

If the chaplain is a muslim will it be a Koran verse?  Because that would be a useful cultural exchange and a beautiful moment of toleration.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2009, 01:07:38 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2009, 12:58:33 PM

If the chaplain is a muslim will it be a Koran verse?  Because that would be a useful cultural exchange and a beautiful moment of toleration.
Probably, though I've never seen a muslim chaplain before (there are only a tiny handful of them), neither have I seen any jewish ones.  Most chaplains tend to come from mainline protestant churches (given the huge shortage of catholic priests).

Valmy

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2009, 01:16:29 PM
Probably, though I've never seen a muslim chaplain before (there are only a tiny handful of them), neither have I seen any jewish ones.  Most chaplains tend to come from mainline protestant churches (given the huge shortage of catholic priests).

I listened to an interview from a Jewish chaplain before.  It sounded like he ended up doing alot of work with the Christian soldiers as well so maybe the actual denomination is not that big of a deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

My sister's ex-fiance was a Hassidic chaplain in the military.  He was the one-man rebuttal to the notion that Jews are smart.

Hansmeister

Quote from: Valmy on August 11, 2009, 01:21:58 PM
Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2009, 01:16:29 PM

I listened to an interview from a Jewish chaplain before.  It sounded like he ended up doing alot of work with the Christian soldiers as well so maybe the actual denomination is not that big of a deal.
Well, yes, chaplains have to serve all Soldiers in the unit they're supporting, no matter their faith.  Of course they can't provide religious services, but most of their job consists of counceling services.