News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 15, 2009, 08:12:29 AM
^No, that's true.  But Japan losing Manchuria and Korea and SE Asia to the RoC is still really bad, just less hilariously, "Goddamn-this-shit-is-broken" bad.
Yeah.  Still, infantry is cheap, and the Chinese have nothing to do with their IC other than build infantry units.  The Japanese player, on the other hand, has to build airplanes and warships.

Actually, I'm playing HOI2 right now, as Japan.  I didn't even bother fighting the Chinese.  Rather, I started going democratic on the sliders, joined the Allies, and ended up fighting in Europe.  While Britain sat uselessly, the US invaded Spain, France and Northern Germany/Poland, while Japan occupied Italy, Southern Germany/Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria and Romania.  Then the Soviets invaded, and while they've pushed their way through Eastern Europe and Germany, I've conquered all of the Soviet Union east of the Urals, with the help of about 70-80 divisions from Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.  The Allied AI is pretty stupid, it seems.  Britain hasn't done anything, and the only reason that the US broke out of Gibraltar (where they had a stack of 350 divisions) was that I hydrogen bombed the 250-division German stack at Valencia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Finland and Romania don't conquer Russia though anymore?
PDH!

Lucidor

Quote from: Neil on August 15, 2009, 08:55:47 AM
Britain hasn't done anything, and the only reason that the US broke out of Gibraltar (where they had a stack of 350 divisions) was that I hydrogen bombed the 250-division German stack at Valencia.
:lmfao:

Fate

^No, that's true.  But Japan losing Manchuria and Korea and SE Asia to the RoC is still really bad, just less hilariously, "Goddamn-this-shit-is-broken" bad.

They also tend to lose Taiwan.  China thankfully doesn't invade mainland Japan, although that is more a symptom of shitty naval invasion AI.

Ideologue

Yeah.  Still, infantry is cheap, and the Chinese have nothing to do with their IC other than build infantry units.  The Japanese player, on the other hand, has to build airplanes and warships.

Actually, I'm playing HOI2 right now, as Japan.  I didn't even bother fighting the Chinese.  Rather, I started going democratic on the sliders, joined the Allies, and ended up fighting in Europe.  While Britain sat uselessly, the US invaded Spain, France and Northern Germany/Poland, while Japan occupied Italy, Southern Germany/Poland, Czechoslovakia, Austria and Romania.  Then the Soviets invaded, and while they've pushed their way through Eastern Europe and Germany, I've conquered all of the Soviet Union east of the Urals, with the help of about 70-80 divisions from Canada, New Zealand, Australia and South Africa.  The Allied AI is pretty stupid, it seems.  Britain hasn't done anything, and the only reason that the US broke out of Gibraltar (where they had a stack of 350 divisions) was that I hydrogen bombed the 250-division German stack at Valencia.

Six million men on Gibraltar! :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Quote from: Ideologue on August 15, 2009, 06:46:38 PM

Six million men on Gibraltar! :lol:

You're making half of Languish hard.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 15, 2009, 12:37:46 AM
Another issue that people have pointed out is that Italy utterly crushes France once the war starts. 

I believe what happens is France seems to think (rightly, to a point) that Germany is the bigger threat, so the AI only leaves a few divisions to defend against Italy.  Italy, of course, considers France to be the biggest threat on their borders, so they stack their armies on the border and kick the shit out of whatever crappy forces the frogs leave there.

Historically, the French didn't have much defending the Italian border, but were still able to stop the Italians in their tracks.  But what happened historically is hard to re-create in a game.  The Italians didn't even join the war until the Germans had already broken through in the north, and then they attacked without even mobilizing their divisions.  In a game, the Italians aren't going to attack without mobilizing first (even if they aren't allowed to mobilize until after they enter the war, they aren't going to attack until they mobilize unless they are forced to do so). 

It's also quite possible that the game doesn't give the French defenders as big a terrain advantage as they had IRL.

Razgovory

They had some fortifications down there as well.  Still the French didn't have a bad army and the Italians did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

What about slider automation? Can't they have a system like HOI2:ARMA had for the production sliders? I find it immensely annoying to have to adjust sliders every time something happens.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

AFAIK, there is a problem with supply calculation that completely destroys the soviet capacity to produce anything.

I think this thread needs to go on a break until 1.2 comes out.

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

ulmont

Quote from: Slargos on August 16, 2009, 04:29:43 AM
I think this thread needs to go on a break until 1.2 comes out.

Yeah, 1.2 ought to be a massive improvement if it hits everything Johan said they were working on:

QuoteOur goals includes.

- New autocontrols for sliders and trade agreements.
- Severe performance improvement.
- New mapmode for simplified terrain. (hoi2 style)
- Day&Night indications
- Cancellation of orders
- Revised Technology Setup for all scenarios.
- Improved Invasion & Theatre AI.

& of course, fixing reported bugs.

Alcibiades

He give a rough estimation as to when it may be done by chance?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

sbr

Quote from: Alcibiades on August 16, 2009, 09:42:38 AM
He give a rough estimation as to when it may be done by chance?

Last week he said a week or two, don't know if that has been changed yet or not.

EDIT: LAte August, maybe the first week of September.