News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 11, 2009, 08:30:10 AM
Going by that long strategy post this doesn't seem to be as much a historical simulator as it is a way of finding out how to 'game' the AI. 

If it were a Cold War game I could get into that.  But for World War 2 I'd kind of like to think that things will follow a path, and you'd have to be clever and skilled to change that.

Altough it is much less untrue here than for EU3, it is still the same bullshit: if you act in hindsight, the very first thing you destroy is the simulation value of the decision processes involved for the contemporary leaders.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2009, 01:40:58 AM
Here is a good post regarding diplomacy and espionage:

Sounds like a decent idea but one not implemented very efficiently.  Eg.

QuoteMake the Danes the enemies of all the world through your propaganda. Because they are small the threat will build quickly.

Why should it be easier to build threat in a smaller country?  Logically it should be the other way around - a smaller country is inherently less threatening and thus it should require more effort to convince the world that they really are dangerous despite their apparent objective innocuous.  As a practical matter, no amount of propoganda should be able to convince the nations of the world that the Despostate of King Christian is the world's greatest meance.  This is just flawed implementation and should be fixed.

QuoteSwitzerland
:bleeding:

At risk of stating the obvious, Switzerland should not be joining any wars, period, no matter what the great powers do with their intel.  The main purpose of German spies and diplomats in Switzerland should be to keep the price of smuggled, looted gold, not to prevent a surprise attack from the jack-knived armed Alphorn Militia.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 05:31:45 AM
Still, reconsidering, this certainly solves the problem with the fact that all provinces can be invaded now, since the invader still has to capture a port in order to survive past 30 days.

IIRC this was discussed in the diaries.  Invading troops carry some invasion supply with them but basically for a large invasion you have to capture a significant port pronto or face serious supply problems.  Which is as it should be.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Is Brazil still run by communists?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Maladict on August 11, 2009, 04:09:53 AM
Give us a date then to prove me wrong.  :)

:NDA:

Sorry but the lips of the source code team have been sealed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2009, 09:08:02 AM
Altough it is much less untrue here than for EU3, it is still the same bullshit: if you act in hindsight, the very first thing you destroy is the simulation value of the decision processes involved for the contemporary leaders.

Of course it is bullshit to have other countries doing things that they weren't really capable of. That pretty much pushes any simulation into fantasy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on August 11, 2009, 10:17:14 AM
Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2009, 09:08:02 AM

Of course it is bullshit to have other countries doing things that they weren't really capable of. That pretty much pushes any simulation into fantasy.

Yes as I was indicating the boundaries are way more strict than in the case of EU3, but I still say, as I was saying after the EU3 release (and was proven right) that the general approach is good and preferable over the classic event and AI file system of HoI2, it just needs fine-tuning.

KRonn

This game is looking better and better.    :)

Norgy

Well...

I discovered one serious game breaker.
First, I tried 1936 GCs, but they went wildly awry when National Chinos invaded all of Manchuria and Korea.
So, after looking for some free advice on the P'dox boards, I tried a 1938 campaing. Then, Japan steamrolled all of China except that Clique and joined the Axis. However, this scared the German ai from doing anything, I think, so by 1941, Europe is playing happy families, while Japan and Germany decided to declare war on, wait for it, National Chinos. Again. Apparently, despite being puppeted, raped and exploited for sushi and raw materials, the game mechanics still had not declared their alliance with those clicks null and void, and Japan in a fit of rage suitable for someone who has to live in a country where bukkake is perfectly legal and school girl uniforms and used panties are sexual aids, declared war on the unfaithful chinos.

While this probably means that I will never see WWII as the US of A, I'll probably keep playing a while longer, just to see how much goddamn technology I need to research to build a carrier that isn't made of matches and tinfoil.

Ideologue

Quote from: Norgy on August 11, 2009, 12:38:02 PM
someone who has to live in a country where bukkake is perfectly legal

The implication behind this statement is that Norway is not the fun place I once believed it to be. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2009, 12:51:36 PM
Quote from: Norgy on August 11, 2009, 12:38:02 PM
someone who has to live in a country where bukkake is perfectly legal

The implication behind this statement is that Norway is not the fun place I once believed it to be. :(

Norway; Fun?; WTF?; FFS get into the real Norway.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Faeelin

Quote from: KRonn on August 11, 2009, 11:46:06 AM
This game is looking better and better.    :)

Quote from: JohanWe actually tried to get more betas in this time.

But... 200 random people from the forum..

40 of them reported at least 1 bug
20 of them were active after first week
Almost all bugs they reported were fixed.

Next game we'll just not ask people from the forum to apply, but do some invites to people that actually stick around for more than. "oops this game is not finished yet 6 months before release, i'll just leave this.".

The most ironic thing was only seeing some betas participating in some demo-threads saying "this sucks", while they had posted ZERO times in the betaforum, and reported ZERO bugs during the 6 month beta.

So do not attack the betas that stuck around and reported problems.

Josephus

Not sure if I understand Johan. Is he saying that out of 200 random beta testers from the forum, only 20 remained after one week?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

ulmont

Quote from: Josephus on August 11, 2009, 02:44:24 PM
Not sure if I understand Johan. Is he saying that out of 200 random beta testers from the forum, only 20 remained after one week?

Yes, that's what it looks like from here.