News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A glance at HoI3

Started by Norgy, August 07, 2009, 04:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maladict

Ideologue

You know, that shit with using the Danes as a lightning rod for ill-will would actually make sense if it were the Soviet Union instead.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 04:06:43 AM
FFS.

Can someone explain to me, why do supply convoys INSIST on running only ONE ship with 14 supplies when the invasion requires 450 supplies daily for its comfort girl contingent ALONE.

Paradox has really gone down hill.  :cry:

Well. Seems I have overlooked the fact that the size of hte port determines how much supplies you can cram into it.

However, I must protest when a lvl 1 and a lvl 3 port both can only handle 14 supplies/day. Does that even cover the needs of one division?

CRAPTACULAR.

Warspite

I really like the new intelligence system - in my game as Germany I'm flooding Europe with propaganda against the imperialist British and French and their designs for Europe.

Interestingly, my father spent most of his career working for the British Council - an organisation that was actually originally set up in the 1930s to counter Nazi propaganda in Central Europe.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 04:51:05 AM
FFS.

Can someone explain to me, why do supply convoys INSIST on running only ONE ship with 14 supplies when the invasion requires 450 supplies daily for its comfort girl contingent ALONE.

Well. Seems I have overlooked the fact that the size of hte port determines how much supplies you can cram into it.

I think most of the crazy negative rave is in a big part due to people playing this as if it was HoI2 like you did, and thus it will fade.

Ideologue

FFS.

However, I must protest when a lvl 1 and a lvl 3 port both can only handle 14 supplies/day. Does that even cover the needs of one division?

CRAPTACULAR.

I think that's awesome, at least in principle, although the absolute numbers may or may need tweaking.  A level 1 port is presumably a Goddamn shithole, and I'm quite pleased Paradox had port levels matter.

I mean, I'm still not getting the game until it's patched up properly/I have my new computer, but I think it'll be all right.  Really, I was sold when I saw that burning cities finally has an influence on a nation's will to fight on. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2009, 05:14:08 AM
FFS.

CRAPTACULAR.

I think that's awesome, at least in principle, although the absolute numbers may or may need tweaking.  A level 1 port is presumably a Goddamn shithole, and I'm quite pleased Paradox had port levels matter.

I mean, I'm still not getting the game until it's patched up properly/I have my new computer, but I think it'll be all right.  Really, I was sold when I saw that burning cities finally has an influence on a nation's will to fight on. :wub:

Sure thing, but why does the lvl 3 port result in no more supplies than the lvl 1, and how the hell will a D-day have any chance at all of succeeding on the meager supplies that can be sent across the channel under these conditions unless the AI gets to cheat?

Slargos

Still, reconsidering, this certainly solves the problem with the fact that all provinces can be invaded now, since the invader still has to capture a port in order to survive past 30 days.

In practice, it should be enough to garrison the ports and have a small mobile force to eradicate landings unless of course the offending party plops down 20 lvl 1 ports all along the coastline.

I predict an interesting development of MP tactics for this game.

BVN

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 05:18:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2009, 05:14:08 AM
FFS.

CRAPTACULAR.

Sure thing, but why does the lvl 3 port result in no more supplies than the lvl 1, and how the hell will a D-day have any chance at all of succeeding on the meager supplies that can be sent across the channel under these conditions unless the AI gets to cheat?
Have you checked the supply troughput? See if there are somewhere chokepoints in your supply lines. Low infra is a nightmare for supply

Slargos

Quote from: BVN on August 11, 2009, 07:14:40 AM

Have you checked the supply troughput? See if there are somewhere chokepoints in your supply lines. Low infra is a nightmare for supply

Apparently it's soemthing like 4 supply per level of sea port modified by whatever tech.

Seems a bit on the low end.

Josquius

Are mulberries not modelled in any way?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 07:32:34 AM

Apparently it's soemthing like 4 supply per level of sea port modified by whatever tech.

Did not know you were a LOTR-tard during your Paradox days.

Slargos

Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2009, 07:42:51 AM

Are mulberries not modelled in any way?

Well.

In the sense that you can build seaports and duly squirt them out once you land they are. However, you only get one freebie level of seaport which means effectively 4 units per coastal province you manage to gain. I doubt the AI is clever enough to pull this trick though, and I doubt 4 units is enough to model these "mulberries".

Slargos

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2009, 07:47:23 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 11, 2009, 07:32:34 AM

Did not know you were a LOTR-tard during your Paradox days.

I've never been a LOTR tard.

If you're referring to the slanderous characterization of myself in that fanfic that... was it Uglyduck who wrote it? I cannot remember.. well...

Edit: Oh, you're referring to my sig and suchlike.  :blush: No. It was just a convenient piece of prose.

Darth Wagtaros

Going by that long strategy post this doesn't seem to be as much a historical simulator as it is a way of finding out how to 'game' the AI. 

If it were a Cold War game I could get into that.  But for World War 2 I'd kind of like to think that things will follow a path, and you'd have to be clever and skilled to change that. 
PDH!