Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2009, 03:12:25 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 07, 2009, 03:09:21 PM
God Bless Obama. Saviour of the World.
Gordon Brown gets no love :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPaiylUYW0`

Poor Gordo, I feel sorry for him.

Anyway, every time I see Cameron in the Parliament, I am reminded what a tosser he is.

Vote Lib-Dem.  :cry:

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2009, 03:12:25 PM
Quote from: Josephus on August 07, 2009, 03:09:21 PM
God Bless Obama. Saviour of the World.
Gordon Brown gets no love :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iPaiylUYW0`

Gordon Brown; the man for whom the concept "damnatio memoriae" should have been invented...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2009, 10:34:13 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 07, 2009, 05:09:20 PM
We didn't have a surplus in the 90s?  :huh:

My understanding is the surplus appeared when they took Social Security off the books.  So it was just an accounting trick.
Oh wow, is that what was done? Lol, what a joke, on us. I think I'd heard of that but forgot. Soc Sec is one of the more important and troublesome issues, and there haven't been many fixes to it since Pres Reagan which I think was basically a tax hike. This is something the Obama admin will probably have to take on too. Bush tried and the poltics of it were a divisive, angry mess, kind of like with health care now.

DGuller

Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2009, 04:10:31 PM
Why would they do that? :s
If you're unemployed and don't want to be employed you should at least stay on the books to get your unemployment benefits...
Unemployment benefit rolls have nothing to do with unemployment figure, that's a very common misconception.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on August 07, 2009, 04:52:49 PM
Well, I did for one, the usual term of collecting unemployment before eligibility runs out is six months than you're off the books er I mean no longer unemployed according to government statistics.
That's 100% false.

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 07, 2009, 11:12:48 PM
Yes and no. The unemployment rate's partially calculated from continuing claims, which is people who are filing for the previous week or even two weeks.
No, it isn't.  Unemployment rate is fully calculated from the results of surveys.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Faeelin on August 07, 2009, 12:59:20 PM
The recession is imploding!
Heh.  Did he stand in front of a banner proclaiming, "Mission Accomplished!"
PDH!

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2009, 10:01:33 PM
Quote from: Strix on August 07, 2009, 04:52:49 PM
Well, I did for one, the usual term of collecting unemployment before eligibility runs out is six months than you're off the books er I mean no longer unemployed according to government statistics.
That's 100% false.

How so?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2009, 10:03:16 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 07, 2009, 11:12:48 PM
Yes and no. The unemployment rate's partially calculated from continuing claims, which is people who are filing for the previous week or even two weeks.
No, it isn't.  Unemployment rate is fully calculated from the results of surveys.

So, they survey everyone in the US to determine the unemployment rate?
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on August 08, 2009, 10:23:04 PM
No, just everyone in the random sample.

Strix

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2009, 10:23:42 PM
Quote from: Strix on August 08, 2009, 10:23:04 PM
No, just everyone in the random sample.

Ugg, yes, the dreaded random sample. At least Clinton didn't get his way with sampling and we still have an exact census for population totals.

DGuller

Quote from: Strix on August 08, 2009, 10:30:14 PM
Ugg, yes, the dreaded random sample. At least Clinton didn't get his way with sampling and we still have an exact census for population totals.
What's so dreaded about a sample?

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on August 09, 2009, 03:40:11 AM
What's so dreaded about a sample?

People who don't understand statistics fear it. :P

Btw, how does the survey take place? If they go door to door or call people at homes, then I assume the unemployed rates would be higher than in reality, since people who are employed are more likely not to sit at home. :D

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on August 09, 2009, 03:43:19 AM
People who don't understand statistics fear it. :P

Btw, how does the survey take place? If they go door to door or call people at homes, then I assume the unemployed rates would be higher than in reality, since people who are employed are more likely not to sit at home. :D
No idea as to the mechanics of it, but I'm pretty sure that government statisticians are not anywhere near that incompetent.

Eddie Teach

We do that once every 10 years and it costs a fair chunk of change. And honestly, what does it matter if the unemployment rate is 9.7 as opposed to 9.3?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?