Barack Obama has rescued America from Economic Disaster

Started by Savonarola, August 07, 2009, 12:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on August 07, 2009, 01:17:00 PM
Good news, the unemployment rate has dropped, even if only by a small amount, it's the right direction and hopefully it keeps going that way.    :)
Unemployment will keep rising but I believe a number of other early indicators are looking good, in both the US and the UK.
Let's bomb Russia!

alfred russel

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2009, 01:58:26 PM
Good news, the unemployment rate has dropped, even if only by a small amount, it's the right direction and hopefully it keeps going that way.    :)
Unemployment will keep rising but I believe a number of other early indicators are looking good, in both the US and the UK.

I know all the projections show unemployment going up through the end of the year and going over 10% in this country, but if unemployment has actually fallen (and this isn't an artifact of sampling or another error), maybe we are turning the corner sooner than expected.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

saskganesh

despite other indicators, the fact that unemployment keeps rising in the US, UK and Canada, tells me that we are still in very bad shape.
humans were created in their own image

alfred russel

Quote from: saskganesh on August 07, 2009, 02:35:35 PM

despite other indicators, the fact that unemployment keeps rising in the US, UK and Canada, tells me that we are still in very bad shape.

This thread starts with the report that the unemployment rate fell in the US in July (from 9.5% to 9.4%).
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Sheilbh

I thought unemployment was a lagging indicator ?
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Hansmeister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 07, 2009, 02:41:06 PM

This thread starts with the report that the unemployment rate fell in the US in July (from 9.5% to 9.4%).
Unemployment only "fell" because half a million people have quit looking for a job altogether.  The overall labor market shrank by 800,000 last month.  If we factor for that the unemployment rate actually increased to 9.9 percent.

Caliga

In any event, the federal unemployment figure is a totally bullshit, meaningless statistic (even moreso than most government stats).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2009, 03:22:05 PM
In any event, the federal unemployment figure is a totally bullshit, meaningless statistic (even moreso than most government stats).
:Michael Douglas:?

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on August 07, 2009, 03:22:05 PM

Look at the seasonally adjusted U-5 or U-6 numbers instead of the baseline U-3.