Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Awful :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29828359/
QuoteFAA: 17 die in Montana plane crash
Accident appears to involve children who were heading on a ski trip

BREAKING NEWS
updated 2 minutes ago

BUTTE, Mont. - A Federal Aviation Administration spokesman says 17 people are dead after a plane crashed while approaching the airport in Butte.

Spokesman Mike Fergus says the single engine turboprop plane departed from Oroville, Calif., at about 11 a.m. Pacific time. The pilot had filed a flight plan showing a final destination of Bozeman.

Fergus says the pilot canceled his flight plan at some point and headed for Butte. The plane crashed about 500 feet from the airport while attempting to land and caught fire.

Fergus says there are no known fatalities on the ground. He says preliminary reports indicate the dead include numerous children.

"We think that it was probably a ski trip for the kids," Fergus said.

Fergus says the plane was registered to Eagle Cap Leasing Inc. in Enterprise, Oregon, but he doesn't know who was operating the plane.

Calls to local authorities were not immediately returned.

The Montana Standard reported on its Web site that the plane crashed in the Holy Cross Cemetery, just south of the airport. An eyewitness told the Standard that the plane was doing steep angle turns and then went into a nose dive.

"All of a sudden the pilot lost control and went into a nosedive," Kenny Gulick, 14, told the news organization. "He couldn't pull out in time and crashed into the trees of the cemetery," Gulick said.

Fergus said the Pilatus PC-12 aircraft was manufactured in 2001. He said the National Transportation Safety Board has an investigator located in Butte who was thought to be on scene. The FAA's flight standards investigator was en route.

Martha and Steve Guidoni, who were at a gas station across from the cemetery, said the plane "just nose-dived into the ground."

"My husband went over there to see if he could do anything," Martha Guidoni said.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for more details.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

Did Hannah Montana's plane crash???///

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

When I first read the thread title I thought it as about a stealth fighter dead in Montana.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 23, 2009, 07:37:53 PM
When I first read the thread title I thought it as about a stealth fighter dead in Montana.
Didn't the Air Force recently retire the FA-117?

1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Was it overloaded? At least two of the passengers were children.  Did anybody get a projected GVW?
Experience bij!

Neil

Is it really all that awful?  Planes crash all the time.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien