News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

U.S. may buy up banks’ toxic assets

Started by jimmy olsen, March 22, 2009, 12:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Obviously it's a good idea for those who are offered what is called a "freeroll" in poker, a risk with only an upside.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 22, 2009, 03:48:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 22, 2009, 03:29:33 PM
Hey, Geitner is still looking for people to fill out positions.  Nobody else wants the Job.  Why not see if they'll pick you.

The barrel hasn't been scraped anywhere near that far down to the bottom.

Besides I would never agree to submit myself to the vetting process in place these days, for the dubious privileges of taking a massive paycut, and of getting to give testimony (or defend myself from) the inevitable special counsel investigations to come.  Congress and the press have done their best over the last 50 years to make public service totally unpalatable to rational people. 

Indeed. I blame the Dem love affair with lowest common denominator populism.

And the republican love affair with....well, the exact same thing.

Maybe that guy who said whatever it was he said about bread and circuses was right. We are all doomed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

What is nonrecourse leverage in English Joansky?

And I don't get how 71.5K gets you 500K on a doubled million dollar asset.

Fate

The profits are split 50/50. :bleeding: At least that's what Summers said on the News Hour...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2009, 10:39:46 AM

Non recourse means that the government lends the money to the private investor to buy the asset, but if the asset out to be worthless, the borrower doesn't have to pay back the loan.  The government does not have recourse to the borrower to make good.

The gain is only 500K b/c the government is putting up 50% of the equity as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 24, 2009, 10:47:08 AM
Non recourse means that the government lends the money to the private investor to buy the asset, but if the asset out to be worthless, the borrower doesn't have to pay back the loan.  The government does not have recourse to the borrower to make good.

The gain is only 500K b/c the government is putting up 50% of the equity as well.
Worthless meaning market value drops to zero (when?), or below the purchase price, or what?  Is the US getting a reasonable rate of return on this loan?  Is that still to be decided?  What's your favorite color?

Zanza

So what's the risk to the private investor?  :huh:

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 24, 2009, 10:53:47 AM
Worthless meaning market value drops to zero (when?), or below the purchase price, or what?  Is the US getting a reasonable rate of return on this loan?  Is that still to be decided?  What's your favorite color?
If the market value of the asset drops below the purchase price, the government and the private investor are both subject to loss of their equity, up to the total amount of the combined equity contribution (14.3%).  If the value drops by more than 14.3%, the loss is sustained by the debt financing, which is all provided by the government.

The interest rate for the loans has not been set, but has been described as lower than what could be obtained now in private markets, but higher than what could have been obtained in private markets before the crisis began.  EDIT: this is pretty misleading though - b/c no one in their right mind would provide non-recourse financing for such assets where the counterparty is only putting down 7 percent up front, regardless of interest rate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Zanza2 on March 24, 2009, 12:13:16 PM

So what's the risk to the private investor?  :huh:

They can lose the 70K up front investment (in the example of a $1 million purchase).
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

DGuller