Movie: Hardkor 44 - Warsaw uprising meets "300"

Started by Syt, August 05, 2009, 07:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2009, 03:27:23 PM
70% sounds like it just about accounts for the Jews and Ukrainians.

Wrong, though the majority of the non-Polish Polish citizens were of those two groups.  It does destroy the weak 'all Polish citizens are Poles argument though, nobody at the time thought that not even the Polish citizens.

By the way between 2-3% of Polish Citizens indentified themselves as Germans.  What percentage of the population later registered as Volksdeutsch?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2009, 03:25:39 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2009, 03:24:16 PM
Maybe identity is used to define nationality in America but in Europe we have this thing called citizenship. I can't go to Denmark and demand to vote just because I self identify as Danish.

In Europe you have this thing called the European Union and you can move around all you want and immediately secure a broad array of civil rights regardless of nationality.

Feel free to post on topic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2009, 03:29:22 PM
I would imagine that would very much depend on where you are from in Europe, wouldn't it?

Not really.  Most of the countries that count are in.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2009, 03:35:18 PM
Maybe identity is used to define nationality in America but in Europe we have this thing called citizenship. I can't go to Denmark and demand to vote just because I self identify as Danish.

In Europe you have this thing called the European Union and you can move around all you want and immediately secure a broad array of civil rights regardless of nationality.

OK
In Europe you have this thing called the European Union and you can move around all you want and immediately secure a broad array of civil rights regardless of nationality.  Including the right to make a moronic movie about the Warsaw Uprising.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2009, 03:37:44 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 06, 2009, 03:35:18 PM

OK
In Europe you have this thing called the European Union and you can move around all you want and immediately secure a broad array of civil rights regardless of nationality.  Including the right to make a moronic movie about the Warsaw Uprising.

Fine, be that guy.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2009, 03:30:50 PM
Wrong, though the majority of the non-Polish Polish citizens were of those two groups.  It does destroy the weak 'all Polish citizens are Poles argument though, nobody at the time thought that not even the Polish citizens.

By the way between 2-3% of Polish Citizens indentified themselves as Germans.  What percentage of the population later registered as Volksdeutsch?
What is the correct percentage of Jews and Ukrainians?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 06, 2009, 03:36:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2009, 03:29:22 PM
I would imagine that would very much depend on where you are from in Europe, wouldn't it?

Not really.  Most of the countries that count are in.
Sorry, but you don't get to be dismissive of large swathes of humanity.  That's my game.

You voted for Obama, you have to sing 'We Are The World' and think that everybody is special and unique.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sahib

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2009, 03:30:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 06, 2009, 03:27:23 PM
70% sounds like it just about accounts for the Jews and Ukrainians.

From the wikipedia:

In occupied Poland, the status of "Volksdeutscher" gave many privileges, but one big disadvantage: Volksdeutsche were subject to conscription into the German army.

The Deutsche Volksliste categorised Poles into one of 4 categories:[16][17]
Category I: Persons of German descent who had engaged themselves in favour of the Reich before 1939.
Category II: Persons of German descent who had remained passive.
Category III: Persons of German descent who had become partly "polonized", e.g. through marrying a Polish partner or through working relationships (especially Silesians and Kashubians).
Category IV: Persons of German ancestry who had become "polonized" but were supportive of "Germanisation".

Volksdeutsche of statuses 1 and 2 in the Polish areas annexed by Germany numbered 1,000,000, and Nos. 3 and 4 numbered 1,700,000. In the General Government there were 120,000 Volksdeutsche.
Deutsche Volksliste, early 1944
Cat. I   Cat. II   Cat. III   Cat. IV
Warthegau   230,000   190,000   65,000   25,000
Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia   115,000   95,000   725,000   2,000
East Upper Silesia   130,000   210,000   875,000   55,000
South East Prussia   9,000   22,000   13,000   1,000
Total   484,000   517,000   1,678,000   83,000
Source: Wilhelm Deist, Bernhard R Kroener, Germany (Federal Republic). Militärgeschichtliches Forschungsamt, Germany and the Second World War, Oxford University Press, 2003, pp.132,133, ISBN 0198208731, citing Broszat, Nationalsozialistische Polenpolitik, p.134
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

garbon

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2009, 03:53:22 PM
You voted for Obama, you have to sing 'We Are The World' and think that everybody is special and unique.

I'm glad I sided with Hilarry "Don't be crazy, North Korea / We'll kick your ass, Iran" Clinton and Sarah "What are you Russians doing over there, don't you try and come in my backyard" Palin. :wub:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I took a quick look through my copy of Ferguson's "The War of the World" to see what I could find of relevance.

"Of the 9.5 million poeple in the incorporated territories, 370,000 were already Reich Germans, a further 353,000 were acknowledged as fully fledged ethnic Germans, 1.7 million were Poles who had satisfied the criteria for inclusion in Groups I and II (and hence automatically became Reich citizens) and 1.6 million were Poles in Group III (who could become citizens only on a case-by-case basis and even then remained subject to discrimination)."

This gives a sense of the magnitudes.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any discussion of the part played by Poles in choosing their status, which is the crux of our discussion.

I also stumbled across a discussion of the pograms initiated after the 1940 conquest: Jedwabne, Josefow, Radzilow, Oleksin, Krakow were all places where Poles either helped Germans to round up and kill Jews or did it all themselves while the Germans watched and took pictures.

(Looks like Valmy came up with some similar info.)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on August 06, 2009, 03:53:22 PM
Sorry, but you don't get to be dismissive of large swathes of humanity.  That's my game.

I'm not being dismissive of large swathes of humanity.  I am being dismissive of meager clusters of GDP.  It is a very different concept even if the effect sometimes ends up the same.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 06, 2009, 08:45:19 AM
Quote from: Bluebook on August 06, 2009, 08:40:25 AM
Is this in any way relevant in your opinion?

My opinion is backed up by entire armies fighting for the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.  My opinion is backed up by a massive domestically based resistance movement that had a significant impact on the war.  My opinion is backed up by the fact these things were not present in most of the other occupied territories.

It is also relevent because the Flemish, French. Norwegians and the other people who joined up as foreigners plainly considered themselves Flemish, French and Norwegians and not Germans.  The "Poles" who joined up did not join the special Polish division of the SS, they joined the German Army eager to identify themselves as Germans.  That is a significant difference.

So I am eager to hear why I should ignore the Polish resistance movement, the Polish western allies and so forth and consider the Poles one of the worst collaborators...

Oh right because they had lots of people who considered themselves not Polish but Germans inside their borders.

Well weren't the Poles fighting for the Soviet Union also collaborators?  Just not collaborating with the nazis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 06, 2009, 04:39:05 PM
Well weren't the Poles fighting for the Soviet Union also collaborators?  Just not collaborating with the nazis.

They weren't real Poles they were Volksrusskies!

Ok well yes I guess the Poles did collaborate with Stalin.