And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

QuoteA message board in the student union at an Ohio college, which displayed a menu for Black History Month, has caused some controversy.
The menu, which was removed soon after word of it began circulating on social media, featured a picture of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. with the headline "Black History Month" and listed the following items:
Fried Chicken $3.99
Mashed Potatoes $1.55
Collard Greens $1.55
Cornbread $0.49
Seth Bauguess, head of communications at Wright State University, said a 2014 alumna spotted the sign and Tweeted it.
Bauguess said when he learned about the Tweet, which was seen by another WSU employee, the university responded to the woman.
The university told her it had been taken down, he said, noting the response also read: "We will continue to look into the situation. Thank you and we're so sorry for the offensive image."
University dining services manages the board, but the menus are posted through an outside vendor, Bauguess said.
Dr. Kimberly Barrett, vice president of multicultural affairs and community engagement, said, "I think many times, in attempts to be inclusive and to honor diversity, people who might be in the majority community or in communities other than the ethnic groups they're trying to honor, sometimes get it wrong.
"Inclusion is an ongoing process where we have to continually re-evaluate and move forward. I was thrilled when they decided to remove the sign."
In the future, Barrett said, "I'm sure they will consult students who are part of the ethnic groups they are trying to honor before they put up a post of a sign."

CountDeMoney

Only racists bring up race, Ed.

Ed Anger

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 14, 2014, 12:52:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 14, 2014, 11:17:52 AM
Now Ed, when I told you about the lawn-weed killer trick I figured you'd use it more wisely.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/local-news/oh-lorain/swastika-chemically-burned-into-avon-yard-police-report-says

Shit, College Republicans taught us that trick back in '88.

Man, I used that on someone who complained about our yard.  Of course, it said "Pedophile" rather then a swastika.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

If you're gonna comment about stuff from four months ago, you might as well watch the marching band.  :P

Ed Anger

QuoteMorning Mix
A missing Ohio police dog who survived one of the coldest winters in history has been found

After nearly two months on the lam, an Ohio police dog who gained 27,000 Facebook followers and inspired thousands of volunteers to search for him during a bitterly cold Midwestern winter, has been reunited with his owner, according to news reports.

Karson, a.k.a. "the hairy kid," a 3-year-old Belgian Malinois, went missing Dec. 23 after he escaped a boarding kennel sans collar while his owner was on vacation, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. A lover of tennis balls and children, Karson had spent the previous year — his first on the job — making narcotics busts and riding along in police chases.

Almost immediately, his owner, Wilmington Police Officer Jerry Popp, turned to Facebook to provide people with updates about his missing pooch and how he was coping with the disappearance.

"I understand that today is Christmas but for me there is very little joy," Popp wrote two days after Karson vanished. "On this end we are feeling helpless and from a law enforcement perspective, handcuffed."

The 61-day saga riveted dog lovers, who responded with an outpouring of support.

"I along with my 9 year old daughter have been following you and K9 Karson since day one," wrote one Facebook user. "We have checked this site everyday over a hundred times a day reading every post and hoping Karson would be found."

[California police dog becomes a police detective]

Popp vowed that he would never give up looking for "the hairy kid" and, despite moments of frustration, his Facebook updates — posted almost daily — struck a relentlessly upbeat tone, even as sub-zero temperatures battered southern Ohio.

"He's trained to survive," Popp told ABC affiliate WCPO. "He's an athletic dog, a strong dog, a smart dog. He'll either find shelter or keep moving. I'm not worried. Not at all."

The entire time, Popp said he was convinced Karson was out there looking for him as well.

"Our dogs miss us, they crave our closeness and accessibility. When we are not around they get stressed and want to find us. That's all Karson was doing, trying to find me. "

[Winged beast descends from heavens to trash Missouri man's bedroom]

After hundreds of reported sightings across multiple counties, Karson was spotted roaming a snow-covered field on Sunday. He was captured after police set up a perimeter and gradually closed in until the fatigued dog gave up, according to a dramatic account of the rescue posted on the dog's Facebook page.

"Karson turned his head and saw me and then he jumped directly into the front seat of the police truck," Popp wrote. "The doors were closed and windows rolled up. He was captured just like that. I then proceeded to kneel in the snow and cry."

Karson lost 14 pounds and survived minus 30-degree wind chills but seemed to be in good health when he was found, according to his owner.

During his first night back at home, Popp reported, Karson filled up on water and food before passing out.  Though the dog was exhausted, Popp said, his transition from survival mode into familiar surroundings went smoothly.

"I can tell he has been losing sleep and now he just wants to calm down and relax," Popp wrote.

Police Chief Duane Weyand told WCPO that Karson wasn't "just a dog" but a member of the department and the community.

"That's been our driving force that he belongs here," he said. "He's one of us."

Caliga

Ed - for reasons unknown to me my parents want to meet up with us in Columbus over Memorial Day weekend.  I suggested Miami but somehow it turned into Columbus.  WHATEVS.

Anyway, tell me what to do in Columbus besides go to Schmidt's Sausage Haus and kick Brutus in the nuts.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Well duh, they want to watch golf.

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 23, 2015, 07:20:03 PM
Well duh, they want to watch golf.
Mom couldn't care less about golf and dad hasn't played in years.  The only sport he watches is NASCAR.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2015, 07:18:53 PM
Ed - for reasons unknown to me my parents want to meet up with us in Columbus over Memorial Day weekend.  I suggested Miami but somehow it turned into Columbus.  WHATEVS.

Anyway, tell me what to do in Columbus besides go to Schmidt's Sausage Haus and kick Brutus in the nuts.

Restaurants:

Dirty franks
The old Mohawk
Thurman's cafe

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on February 23, 2015, 07:23:39 PMMom couldn't care less about golf and dad hasn't played in years.  The only sport he watches is NASCAR.

Hmm. The tournament is the main reason people go to Columbus for Memorial Day. Maybe they're just trying to split the distance or something. I suggest the zoo.