News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Ohio, the heart of it all

Started by Ed Anger, August 04, 2009, 09:52:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

QuoteKasich approval ratings up (but he's no match for Urban Meyer or Jim Tressel)
Business First by Jeff Bell, Staff reporter
Date: Thursday, August 16, 2012, 12:05pm EDT

Gov. John Kasich's popularity numbers pale next to those of Ohio State University football coach Urban Meyer or even Jim Tressel for that matter, but the Republican governor is gaining ground with voters in the state.

Kasich has pulled even on his approval rating, with 41 percent of Ohio voters looking at him favorably and 41 percent disapproving of him, according to a new survey by Raleigh, N.C.-based Public Policy Polling. That compares to 36 percent positive and 53 percent negative a year ago.

"John Kasich has really resurrected his image after a shaky first year in office," said Dean Debnam, president of the polling group that does surveys for politicians, political organizations, unions, consultants and businesses. "He's gone from being one of the most unpopular governors in the country to about average."

Ohio is one of the states tracked by Public Policy Polling, and the pollsters there like to toss in a few sports-related questions in their surveys. The poll on Kasich's popularity also found 60 percent of Ohio State football fans like the job Meyer has done since taking over the OSU program in November. Only 2 percent disapprove of his performance, while 38 percent say they're not sure – presumably waiting to see how Meyer's team does once the season begins Sept. 1.

Just as interesting though are the numbers of whether Ohio State fans prefer Meyer over Tressel, the former lord of Buckeye football who was fired last year for his role covering up the tattoos-for-memorabilia scandal. Some 38 percent of those polled said they're happy with Meyer, but 33 percent would still prefer Tressel.

And the Vest's overall popularity doesn't seem to have been tarnished much despite his fall from grace. The poll found 65 percent view Tressel favorably compared to 14 percent who don't.

Tressel4Senate
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Syt on August 18, 2012, 03:20:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62DGe9i9lGQ

QuoteWelcome to glorious Cincinnati! Queen of Ohio's pal-pine ski-ing resorts!

[...]

C-I-N-C-I-N-N-A-T-I, Cincinnati! The best town in O-H-I-O, Ohio, USA! At first they called it Cincy, but since Cincy is so natty, they named it Cincinnati, so they say. Hey, the girls are really pretty in this pretty little city, the fellas are the feistiest I've seen. And when it comes to ball teams, the Reds and Bengals maul teams, they knock the socks off all the other teams. I mean to argue's indefensible, the facts are common sensible, Cincy is invincible, know what I mean? Cincy's more than merely natty, she's Ohio's Maserati, Cincinnati's at the center of the scene!

:lmfao:

Awesome.  Never saw that before.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

I liked the part at the end where Drew Barrymore blew up. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

There's a later scene where (in the fantasyland) the baddie uses a gas that makes people evil. Drew is immune, saying, "It must by because I'm from Cincy!" I think she made the movie during her alcohol/drugs phase.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

QuoteOhio driver finds scorched, naked woman with rope around neck
Published August 29, 2012
| Associated Press
advertisement
ADAMSVILLE, Ohio –  A naked, severely burned woman with a strap around her neck arose from a rural eastern Ohio road, crying in agony, and threw herself toward a passing vehicle in a scene that was "something out of a horror show," the motorist told a newspaper.
The interview with the Times Recorder in Zanesville, which did not name the man in its online story Wednesday, offers graphic detail about what is now a death investigation as detectives try to piece together what happened.
The man said the 29-year-old woman was pleading for help and comfort, and was burned from head to toe, with all her hair gone, when he spotted her Sunday morning in a heavily wooded, lightly traveled area northeast of Zanesville.
"I caught her and picked her up in my arms," he told the newspaper. "I told her I was going to lay her in the grass and knew then that God had put me there for her."
She was screaming that people were trying to kill her, he said, and he initially wondered if it was a joke.
"I looked around to see if anyone else was there, but couldn't see anyone," he said. So he called 911.
The man said he covered the woman with a blanket from his truck and tried to talk with her. He told an emergency dispatcher he was having trouble understanding the woman but she was alert enough to share her name.
He said he offered her some Gatorade and tried to loosen the strap around her neck as she gasped for air. He said they prayed together, and he tried to soothe her.
Because of her wounds, emergency responders had trouble getting her onto a stretcher at the scene. The woman, later identified as Celeste Fronsman of the Canton area, was flown to a Columbus hospital. She died Tuesday.
Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said investigators have identified several people of interest in the case and have evidence from a location in woods near where the woman was spotted, about an hour's drive from her home. An autopsy also was planned.

CountDeMoney

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

They made an arrest already last week.

QuoteZANESVILLE -- A 20-year-old Canton area woman could face the death penalty if convicted as charged in the murder of a woman found burned and beaten Sunday morning in a remote section of Muskingum County.
On Friday afternoon, the Muskingum County Prosecutor's Office filed one count of aggravated murder with two death specifications, one count of kidnapping and one count of aggravated arson against Katrina Marie Culberson. She is charged in connection with the death of Celeste Fronsman, 29, of Canton.
Culberson was arrested at the Stark County Jail, where she is being held on a felony theft warrant from Stark County. She will be transferred to the Muskingum County Jail as soon as she has a hearing with a Stark County judge, Prosecutor Michael Haddox said.
The death penalty specifications allege she committed the murder during a kidnapping and an aggravated arson, Haddox said.
Fronsman was found burned and beaten Sunday morning by a passing motorist on Ohio 208 near the Tri-Valley Recreational Area.
She was flown by MedFlight to Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, where she died Tuesday afternoon of her injuries.
The Franklin County Coroner's Office said 70 percent of her body was covered with second-, third- and fourth-degree burns. Her death has been ruled a homicide.
Sarah Gulosh, Fronsman's sister, said she does not know Culberson personally, but does know she and her sister were friends.
Gulosh declined to comment on Culberson's arrest at this time.
Muskingum County Sheriff Matt Lutz said his detectives continue to work on the case, conducting interviews and searching for "persons of interest."
Lutz is not releasing many details, including how Culberson and Fronsman got from Canton to Muskingum County or what their connection was, except to confirm the two women were acquainted.
Lutz said Fronsman knew a lot of people in the Canton area and had many contacts, so his detectives are "energized" to collect evidence and conduct interviews.
"This is a sad case in the way Celeste passed and by no means are we satisfied or happy," Lutz said. "We've had about 10 to 12 officers working this case since she was found, and we're not resting until Prosecutor Haddox can take the case to a successful prosecution."
Culberson previously has been arrested for soliciting, obstructing official business and burglary, Stark County Court records show.
Haddox said he does not know exactly when Culberson will be transported to the Muskingum County Jail.
Lutz said his officers have had critical assistance from other agencies.
"We've had very good detectives, both from our office, the Canton Police Department, the Stark County Sheriff's Office, Agent Josh Durst with the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and the FBI working on this case," Lutz said. "They were able to take us places and get us contacts that became instrumental in this case."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Syt

Quote from: DGuller on September 03, 2012, 11:17:17 AM
Good God, you people are sick. :x

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould