How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million

Started by Savonarola, July 31, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Malthus on August 04, 2009, 05:15:38 PM
Disagree. He was both ethnically Roman (spoke Latin rather than Greek as a child) and grew to preside over a court that still considered itself "Roman".  The Corpus Juris Civilis was written in Latin and was self-conciously a compilation of "Roman" law.
Except the Latin bit the Roman thing was true until 1453.  And arguably afterwards as it was melded with Sharia to produce Ottoman law.  I don't really like using the word Byzantine at all; I suppose you could make a distinction between Roman and Rhomioi, but even that is somewhat dishonest as the most pronounced trend in Roman history going back to Scipio Africanus was Hellenization, culminating in the adoption of the Empire and the merger of Greek and Roman civilization into Classical civilization. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Jaron

Admiral Yi

Jaron

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM