News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Cash for Clunkers Question

Started by alfred russel, August 03, 2009, 09:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Assuming this program gets more funding, is there anything stopping me from buying a car from a junkyard or something in barely working order for a few hundred and using that to get $4500 off a new car?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

This part :

Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: alfred russel on August 03, 2009, 09:47:48 AM
Assuming this program gets more funding, is there anything stopping me from buying a car from a junkyard or something in barely working order for a few hundred and using that to get $4500 off a new car?

Quote from: Cash for Clunkers FAQSQ: Can I go to the junkyard and buy an old car and use it for a trade?

A:  You have to have owned the car for a year and show continuous registration and insurance for the clunker you trade in.  Sp any recent car purchases, trades or transfers would not qualify.
http://www.cashforclunkersfacts.com/bill-faq and see also http://www.cars.gov/faq#category-06

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

KRonn

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 03, 2009, 09:55:04 AM
This part :

Trade-in vehicles must be registered and insured continuously for the full year preceding the trade-in
Correct. Though if you did have some old gas guzzling junk box, barely worth anything, this is a handy plan for getting some cash saved on a new car.  For people with more fuel efficient older cars (over 18mpg) in need of a new car, this plan is of no use.