News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sundering of America

Started by Lettow77, August 03, 2009, 06:41:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lettow77

Queg, America could, although I wouldent be suprised if somehow foreign weapons found their way into the hands of the Southern populace.

If they were foolish enough to do that to the South, and put the average Southerner in a position of resentment to the American government, it'd be the end of America as a world power.

BB: There's the huge difference of slavery then and now. Plus, Secession (Not succession- no Huckabee the Pretenders here) is gaining traction internationally at present.

I just see no reason for this international outpouring of hostility you envision, assuming a peaceful seperation can be affected. As for why I think a peaceful seperation would go through..

- We make up a signifigant portion of the military and have nuclear armament domestically that could be seized in short order, harpers ferry style.

- We are a net drain on the union, providing impetus to let us go.

- Yankees are increasingly weary of wars and the costs associated with them

- Northerners frequently think they'd be better off without us, and resent us. Many would see our secession as an opportunity to finally get america 'right' without the hicks in the way.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

At this point I should say that an independent Western Canada would face far fewer obstacles than an independent CSA ever would (although I know it would still face some large hurdles).  But being a net oil exporter has a certain way of winning international friends... :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Lettow, thanks for starting this thread, because it shows us all what a moron you are. :)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 04:21:49 PM
Queg, America could, although I wouldent be suprised if somehow foreign weapons found their way into the hands of the Southern populace.

True.  Chavez and Castro would love to stir up some shit if they could.  Putin might even send over a rusting cruiser or two.

Queequeg

If they were foolish enough to do that to the South, and put the average Southerner in a position of resentment to the American government, it'd be the end of America as a world power.
:lmfao:
Didn't stop us from becoming a world power, why would it end it this time?  If anything, the period of powerlessness in the South would be great as we'd be able to push through some good legislation.  That's what happened the first time. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2009, 04:22:30 PM
At this point I should say that an independent Western Canada would face far fewer obstacles than an independent CSA ever would (although I know it would still face some large hurdles).  But being a net oil exporter has a certain way of winning international friends... :shifty:

Somehow i don't see BC joining Alberta in a WCA
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on August 03, 2009, 04:24:00 PM

Somehow i don't see BC joining Alberta in a WCA

Probably not.  But who knows what the future might bring...

Queequeg

We could make you a state. We'd be more than happy to, actually.    Or even a couple of states.  Heck, it would help us fuckover the south, come to think of it.   :)
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Lettow77

It'd be a partisan war this time around, my russophile. Low intensity warfare across a huge area -against- the only martial-minded section of the country is exactly what America doesnt need. How long until the hippie protesters demand the troops pull out?

It would drain american money, american lives, and damage her prestige internationally. It would destabilise the republic and demoralise the people.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on August 03, 2009, 04:27:36 PM
We could make you a state. We'd be more than happy to, actually.    Or even a couple of states.  Heck, it would help us fuckover the south, come to think of it.   :)

No you wouldn't.  You'd gain 3 strongly democratic states as compared to one mildly republican one.

Barrister

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 04:28:14 PM
It'd be a partisan war this time around, my russophile. Low intensity warfare across a huge area -against- the only martial-minded section of the country is exactly what America doesnt need. How long until the hippie protesters demand the troops pull out?

It would drain american money, american lives, and damage her prestige internationally. It would destabilise the republic and demoralise the people.

A few pages ago you were saying there'd be no war.

The "only martial-minded section of the country"? :lol:  The south is as soft as any other place.  Plus even if you could get a slim majority in facour of succession, you'd still have a very significant minority still in favour of continued ties.

One of the few honourable things that Lee and others did was to spare their contrymen the horrors of a protracted guerilla war.  Why would you throw that legacy away?

Queequeg

Quote from: Lettow77 on August 03, 2009, 04:28:14 PM

You are drastically overestimating the South's "martial nature", as last time I checked the average Russian partizan didn't work at Wallmart or weigh 300 pounds.  Actually, last time I checked, West Point, generally speaking the Officer Corps, not to mention a lot of the best minds in the defense industry, were NOT from rural Alabama. 

Queequeg

- Northerners frequently think they'd be better off without us, and resent us. Many would see our secession as an opportunity to finally get america 'right' without the hicks in the way.
I think the South has made some truly exceptional cultural additions to this country, but I think the "southern mindset" is barbaric.  Unity will bring about the Master American Identity to move forward to our destiny DESTINY. 

Barrister

Quote from: Queequeg on August 03, 2009, 04:37:32 PM

I think the South has made some truly exceptional cultural additions to this country, but I think the "southern mindset" is barbaric.  Unity will bring about the Master American Identity to move forward to our destiny DESTINY.

Phew.  Ishmail here was making too much sense for awhile.  Now I am reminded he is still insane.   :)

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive