Main Menu

Buying a New PC

Started by Faeelin, August 02, 2009, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: Faeelin on August 02, 2009, 12:36:55 PM
I'm planning on buying a new PC in the next couple of weeks, and am hoping to spend around $2000-$2500 on it. Does anyone have any online dealers they like or dislike? I've found what I think is a pretty good deal on Alienware, but I remember a few years ago thinking they were overpriced junk, so am a bit surprised.
Seriously, I would recommend building the computer yourself.  You will save a lot of money, and you'll be much more certain of the upgrade potential for the computer.  A lot of pre-built systems these days are very physically limited in how much new stuff you can put in them.

The Brain

Can't you do what I suggested? Or don't you have such places in the third world?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I'd agree with the idea of getting a independent shop to build a system up for you.
The only good thing about a alienware computer is you'll have something pretty in your room and you can show it off to geeks (though they will probably rant at you for not building your own and point out how much cheaper it would be...)
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on August 04, 2009, 04:12:14 PM
I'd agree with the idea of getting a independent shop to build a system up for you.
The only good thing about a alienware computer is you'll have something pretty in your room and you can show it off to geeks (though they will probably rant at you for not building your own and point out how much cheaper it would be...)
:yes:

DGuller

I think the independent shop is a fine idea, if you're not a real man or are a homosexual.

Caliga

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2009, 11:10:17 AM
I think the independent shop is a fine idea, if you're not a real man or are a homosexual.
Myeah. 
It comes down to how much your time is worth really.
If it was me I'd build my own. I'm not going to blow £30 on getting some guy in the shop to put it together for me. I have plenty of free time anyway.
If it was someone with a decent job and/or a dirth of time though then its really not all that much to pay to save yourself a task.

That is of course if it even does cost extra.
I think in many shops they may give you assembly free (or at least for very little extra) if you're buying the whole system from them.

But anyway, since Faeelin is talking about buying a alienware system I think its a safe assumption he has a fair bit of money.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

There are also those of us who enjoy building systems and consider it fun.

If I was born 30 years earlier, I'd probably be working on cars all the time instead of computers.

Josquius

Quote from: Caliga on August 05, 2009, 11:23:52 AM
There are also those of us who enjoy building systems and consider it fun.

If I was born 30 years earlier, I'd probably be working on cars all the time instead of computers.
True.
Personally I hate it.
I like fiddling around with gadgets and all that sort of thing but when it comes to computers (especially my own) I'm too paranoid I'm going to fuck up and wreck it.

Though it is rather fun to tell lay people you 'built' your computer.
Back at senior school I was regarded as some kind of freaky genius for doing that.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

PC components (aside from the CPU) are surprisingly robust.  I had a motherboard actually catch fire once from an uninsulated wire that touched something (forget what), and the board worked fine after that for many years, even though a small portion of it was blackened and a little melted.  Also, I've bent motherboards hard several times and never had one crack or snap.

Grey Fox

I like building computers. Send me parts & I'll build one for any of you guys.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2009, 11:10:17 AM

Good post.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 05, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
I like building computers. Send me parts & I'll build one for any of you guys.
You ever do a RAID array?

Grey Fox

Never tried no.

I should try that, next time I upgrade.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.