News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Buying a New PC

Started by Faeelin, August 02, 2009, 12:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

I'm planning on buying a new PC in the next couple of weeks, and am hoping to spend around $2000-$2500 on it. Does anyone have any online dealers they like or dislike? I've found what I think is a pretty good deal on Alienware, but I remember a few years ago thinking they were overpriced junk, so am a bit surprised.

The Brain

What should it be able to do? This has little to do with your question but I'm just curious.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

2500$?

Dude, this isnt 2001 anymore, a decent gaming computer is barely 1k$.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

Hes gay.

Fae, get an apple
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Strix

What are the specs for a good gaming system now? I am thinking of buying a new one as well.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Barrister

For that kind of money you should do what I did and get a Mac Pro.  :cool:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2009, 02:56:51 PM
2500$?

He's probably thinking only of getting one from a manufacturer (hence the Alienware comment), which will have a huge price impact. 

I strongly recommend against doing this, Fae, but I've noticed that alot of ppl on Languish are afraid to try building their own PCs and just won't listen. ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2009, 06:35:31 AM

I strongly recommend against doing this, Fae, but I've noticed that alot of ppl on Languish are afraid to try building their own PCs and just won't listen. ^_^

Time is money.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2009, 06:35:31 AM
2500$?

He's probably thinking only of getting one from a manufacturer (hence the Alienware comment), which will have a huge price impact. 

DGuller's thread should be required reading for anyone thinking of building their own machine for the first time.

As compared to buying a system from a manufacturer ike, say, Apple.  I had my Mac Pro running within minutes.   :cool:

The Brain

Building your own machine? You go to a store that sells pre-designed packages that they build from cheap good parts. You don't have to do dick and you get a cheap powerful system.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

2500$?

I'd have said 1985.  A 386 used to go for BIG money.
PDH!

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2009, 10:57:07 AM
DGuller's thread should be required reading for anyone thinking of building their own machine for the first time.
Meh, in retrospect I'm happy to have gone that route, and I'm one of those people who value their time.  Sometimes it was frustrating, but overall it was an interesting challenge. 

What I would never, ever do is consider buying anything from HP ever again.

Caliga

I've actually spent more time uninstalling bloatware from Princesca's new Acer laptop than I would have building a new desktop PC from components.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on August 04, 2009, 07:53:02 AM
I've actually spent more time uninstalling bloatware from Princesca's new Acer laptop than I would have building a new desktop PC from components.  :lol:

You know, Apples have literally zero bloatware... :whistle:

Caliga

Of course not.  Why would anyone bother coding an app for the Apple OS?  Most businesses enjoy making money. :)