Remains of pilot missing 18 years in Iraq found

Started by Weatherman, August 02, 2009, 08:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weatherman

QuoteWASHINGTON – The remains of the first American lost in the Persian Gulf War have been found in Iraq, the military said Sunday, after struggling for nearly two decades with the question of whether he was dead or alive.

The Pentagon said the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology on Saturday had positively identified the remains of Navy Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher, whose disappearance has bedeviled investigators since his fighter jet was shot down over the Iraq desert on the first night of the 1991 war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090802/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_gulf_war_missing_pilot

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Strix

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2009, 08:30:12 AM
So was he alive or dead?

They said they found his remains in the desert and not his parent's basement.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

C.C.R.

In related news, the first American pilot shot down over Germany was never found...

---

---

---

...wait for it...

---

---

---

...because he landed in a German dessert...

Get it?  Because of the latent German disposition towards canibalism?  Oh, COME ON!!!  This is the "A" material!  Don't make me use the "B" material, people...

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

You guys should be ashamed of making fun of this.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

KRonn

At least his family has had verification on him, and now have his remains for a burial.   :(

Mr.Penguin

Wasnt it the guy who's family was certern that he was rotting in one of Shadam's sercet prisons?...
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on August 03, 2009, 07:52:47 AM
Wasnt it the guy who's family was certern that he was rotting in one of Shadam's sercet prisons?...

Yeah. The Post had a whole article about this.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Caliga

:huh:

Why did his wife remarry if they were certain he was still alive?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Quote from: Caliga on August 03, 2009, 08:37:36 AM
:huh:

Why did his wife remarry if they were certain he was still alive?

She had needs.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Gambrinus

At least they got the first part right.