Which New Wave Band Was the New Waviest?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 31, 2009, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why do I have to repeat the question here?

Blondie
6 (20%)
B-52s
3 (10%)
Devo
9 (30%)
The Cars
1 (3.3%)
The Police
4 (13.3%)
Declan McManus
1 (3.3%)
Joe Jackson
0 (0%)
The Go-Gos
0 (0%)
Write In
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 02, 2009, 09:53:27 PM
Does Genesis count?

If we were in the same room, I'd flick you on the forehead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

garbon

BVN

If I think about New Wave, the first thing that pops up in my mind is: Sisters of Mercy.

Other favorites of mine: Joy Division, The Cure, Depeche Mode
More local: TC Matic, Anne Clark, Front 242

Pedrito

b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

Quote from: dps on August 01, 2009, 07:56:42 PM
Quote from: Tyr on August 01, 2009, 03:09:46 PM
Duran Duran, Spandeu Ballet and all that sort of thing defines New Wave.

Bullshit.  New Wave was pretty much over with by the time those groups came along.

I have no idea if Yi's asking which act was the best, or who best exlemplified New Wave, or simply who our personal favorites were, but if it's the second, I'd vote Devo.
They were formed before New Wave even arose.

QuoteThen your junior high was a couple of years behind the curve.  New Wave had already peaked by the fall of '80.
No it hadn't.
It was only just beginning around 1980.
New Wave is the 80s, peak I'd guess around 82/83; Rio is THE New Wave song.
Blue Monday could also sort of be seen to be a peak but as I mentioned New Order lacked the tacky, yuppie style that New Wave was about.
██████
██████
██████

Caliga

Yeah, New Wave's peak was like 1982 or so.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

Wow, New Wave is the 1980s?  What in the fuck was I listening to in in the later 70s?  Shit, I hate revisionist history.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Caliga

Quote from: PDH on August 04, 2009, 07:53:07 AM
Wow, New Wave is the 1980s?  What in the fuck was I listening to in in the later 70s?  Shit, I hate revisionist history.
Just cause it peaked in the 80s doesn't mean it didn't exist in the 70s.  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 04, 2009, 07:53:07 AM

It is damn kids these days.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive