Which New Wave Band Was the New Waviest?

Started by Admiral Yi, July 31, 2009, 08:37:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Why do I have to repeat the question here?

Blondie
6 (20%)
B-52s
3 (10%)
Devo
9 (30%)
The Cars
1 (3.3%)
The Police
4 (13.3%)
Declan McManus
1 (3.3%)
Joe Jackson
0 (0%)
The Go-Gos
0 (0%)
Write In
6 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Admiral Yi

Barrister

Declan McManus? :yeahright:

I had to google it.  Surely the name he is more commonly known as would have been more appropriate.

I like pretty much every one of those bands, but which was "new waviest"?

I went with DEVO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Duran Duran and Depeche Mode were the two most popular groups among the people who liked New Wave music in my high school; I was not a part of that group.  Motley Crue FTW!! :punk:

Of the choices given I would have to agree with BB and say Devo, but my write in goes for Duran Duran, they really started the New Wave movement in my limited circle.

EDIT: Poll sucks.  Blondie, Joe Jackson?

Syt

Silly poll. Where's Adam Ant, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF), Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Tears for Fears etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on July 31, 2009, 11:53:25 PM
Silly poll. Where's Adam Ant, Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, Deutsch-Amerikanische Freundschaft (DAF), Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Tears for Fears etc.

Those were new wave?

Duran Duran was top 20 pop stuff when I was in high school, same with Frankie and Tears for Fears.  When I think of new wave I think of the late 70s very early 80s stuff.

and I saw sbr's edit: Joe Jackson was new wave... :huh:

when I think of new wave, I think of bands like the Cure and possibly Devo although Devo was so out there it is hard to characterize.

crazy canuck

Holy crap.  Yi. The go gos were not new wave.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

citizen k

from wiki:

Quote"Music that followed the anarchic garage band ethos of the Sex Pistols was distinguished as "punk", while music that tended toward experimentation, lyrical complexity, or more polished production, was categorized as "New Wave". This came to include musicians who had come to prominence in the British pub rock scene of the mid-1970s, such as Ian Dury, Nick Lowe, Eddie and the Hot Rods and Dr Feelgood; acts associated with the New York club CBGBs, such as Television, Patti Smith, Mink DeVille and Blondie; and singer-songwriters who were noted for their barbed lyrical wit, such as Elvis Costello, Tom Robinson and Joe Jackson. Furthermore, many artists who would have originally been classified as punk were also termed New Wave. A 1977 Phonogram Records compilation album of the same name (New Wave) features US artists including the Dead Boys, Ramones, Talking Heads and The Runaways. David Bowie's Berlin Trilogy was also a major influence in the style.[citation needed]
Later still, "New Wave" came to imply a less noisy, often synthesizer-based, pop sound. The term post-punk was coined to describe the darker, less pop-influenced groups, such as Gang of Four, Joy Division, Devo, and Siouxsie & the Banshees.Although distinct, punk, New Wave, and post-punk all shared common ground: an energetic reaction to the supposedly overproduced, uninspired popular music of the 1970s.  The term fell out of favour in the United Kingdom during the early 1980s because its usage had become too general."

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

Joy Division?  Cabaret Voltaire?  Gang of Four?  The Specials?
Let's bomb Russia!

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

ibid.

Your polls fail as epically as your movie threads and taste in chicks.

What the hell's going on out there in Iowa?

Strix

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher