A Game of Thrones on HBO - I guess this is really going to happen.

Started by Berkut, July 31, 2009, 02:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRC

George R. R. Martin is the next generation Michael Moorcock.  Some pretty cool shit the first read through, but the more you look at it... the stupider it gets.

Martinus

Wow, talk about idiots who never had kids weighing in on what a 15 y.o. shouldn't read.

A 15 y.o. is not a child. It's the high school age. People who are 15 can watch movies like "Watchmen", "Fight Club" or "Tudors", and high school curricula include books like "Lord of Flies", "Catcher in the Rye" or "Macbeth".

Retards, seriously.  :rolleyes:

Martinus

Quote from: ulmont on July 31, 2009, 09:34:22 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 31, 2009, 09:28:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsenIs she into gritty feudal violence? The series is chock full of murder, incest and rape of underage girls.

:o

Thankfully I asked.  I have not read one word of the series so I didn't know.  Thanks.  :blush:

I think Tim oversold that a bit, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You might want to check out this post, which has a bunch of recommendations for a 13-year old girl (most of which are pretty good fantasy and sci-fi novels for adults): http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=48943 (the full suggestion list is in the comments to http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=34830 )

It's for a 13 y.o., for fucks sake. A 15 y.o. has more in common with 18 y.o., in terms of a psychological development, than with a 13 y.o.

Martinus

Seriously, I'm disappointed with some of you in this thread. Sure, Tim is a known retard and a waste of biomass (that could be used for more useful purposes, such as fuel) but I had a better opinion of the rest of you. Valmy, people like you end up throwing controversial books out of the school library. Shameful.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on August 01, 2009, 02:17:53 AM
Sure, Tim is a known retard and a waste of biomass (that could be used for more useful purposes, such as fuel) but I had a better opinion of the rest of you.

Even me?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on August 01, 2009, 02:17:53 AM
Seriously, I'm disappointed with some of you in this thread. Sure, Tim is a known retard and a waste of biomass (that could be used for more useful purposes, such as fuel) but I had a better opinion of the rest of you. Valmy, people like you end up throwing controversial books out of the school library. Shameful.

You want her to turn lesbian, don't you.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Scipio

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 31, 2009, 02:27:58 PM
I guess I should get around to finally reading these books.
Don't bother.  Starts strong, then develops a strong case of Jordanitis.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

I almost skipped this thread, but the unexpected Marti hissy fit makes it all worthwhile.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on August 01, 2009, 02:12:37 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsenIs she into gritty feudal violence? The series is chock full of murder, incest and rape of underage girls.

Thankfully I asked.  I have not read one word of the series so I didn't know.  Thanks.  :blush:

I think Tim oversold that a bit, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You might want to check out this post, which has a bunch of recommendations for a 13-year old girl (most of which are pretty good fantasy and sci-fi novels for adults): http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=48943 (the full suggestion list is in the comments to http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=34830 )

It's for a 13 y.o., for fucks sake. A 15 y.o. has more in common with 18 y.o., in terms of a psychological development, than with a 13 y.o.
You just use that as an excuse to rape them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Viking

First of all 13 year olds are much much more robust than you people imagine. The absolutely greatest childrens book are about the nastiest topics. Fairy tales are usually about murder, cannibalism and rape. Jordan is just a better way get her interested, most of the main characters are female and the male characters are usually just tossing about on a sea of female intrigue regardless of their status as game changing heros.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

ulmont

Quote from: Martinus on August 01, 2009, 02:12:37 AM

Did you not read the part where I noted that "most of [the recommendations] are pretty good fantasy and sci-fi novels for adults?" (emphasis added)

jimmy olsen

That list has some good suggestions.

The Dragonriders of Pern was the first thing that popped into my mind when sbr asked for suggestions.

EDIT: Oh and Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson would be great I think, it has strong female lead.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2009, 06:55:09 AM
I almost skipped this thread, but the unexpected Marti hissy fit makes it all worthwhile.
See, that is why I scan the threads I shouldn't like but that keep going on...there is always a good "moment" somewhere in there...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: sbr on July 31, 2009, 09:16:12 PM
I am curious about recommending the series to my 15 year old daughter; she loves to read and seems to like fantasy/sci-fi settings.  Any thoughts?

Try the Belgariad by Eddings. It is harmless.

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 01, 2009, 09:09:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 01, 2009, 06:55:09 AM
See, that is why I scan the threads I shouldn't like but that keep going on...there is always a good "moment" somewhere in there...

I especially liked the throwing books out of a library part.