A Game of Thrones on HBO - I guess this is really going to happen.

Started by Berkut, July 31, 2009, 02:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 31, 2009, 09:19:12 PM
I think the detailed descriptions of Tyrion's throbbing purple cock could scar her for life and make her a lesbian.

Quote from: jimmy olsenIs she into gritty feudal violence? The series is chock full of murder, incest and rape of underage girls.

Not what most Dad's would recommend for 15 year old girl.

Give us an example of some of the things she's liked already.

:o

Thankfully I asked.  I have not read one word of the series so I didn't know.  Thanks.  :blush:

jimmy olsen

Quote from: sbr on July 31, 2009, 09:28:20 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 31, 2009, 09:19:12 PM
I think the detailed descriptions of Tyrion's throbbing purple cock could scar her for life and make her a lesbian.

Quote from: jimmy olsenIs she into gritty feudal violence? The series is chock full of murder, incest and rape of underage girls.

Not what most Dad's would recommend for 15 year old girl.

Give us an example of some of the things she's liked already.

Thankfully I asked.  I have not read one word of the series so I didn't know.  Thanks.  :blush:
It's pretty famous for being a brutal setting where the bad/crazy/and morally ambiguous almost always win out over the guys who are kind of good.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

I think Tim oversold that a bit, but I wouldn't recommend it.  You might want to check out this post, which has a bunch of recommendations for a 13-year old girl (most of which are pretty good fantasy and sci-fi novels for adults): http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=48943 (the full suggestion list is in the comments to http://www.tor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=34830 )

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 31, 2009, 09:34:11 PM
It's pretty famous for being a brutal setting where the bad/crazy/and morally ambiguous almost always win out over the guys who are kind of good.

No better time to learn how the world works than now.

grumbler

Quote from: ulmont on July 31, 2009, 09:35:04 PM
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

ulmont

Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2009, 09:43:57 PM

It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones.

Darth Wagtaros

The center really can't hold?
Quote from: grumbler on July 31, 2009, 09:43:57 PM

PDH!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Valmy

I think they overstate a bit how "chock full" of it the series is but yes those elements are there.

I swear some people describe the series as if there is a brutal underage rape by dwarfs with huge cocks on every page.
It is a great series but it is really something for the 18+ crowd.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

You know what's sad?  Yeats poem reminds me of the lament of the Rohrim.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning,
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

I R pathetic. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Yeats is talking more about fear of the future, while Tolkien is more about the glories of the past (as befitted an unreconstructed Romantic who thought blood more important than ability).  They are comparable in the sense that they both thought the future was not going to be as good as the past, but they thought so for very different reasons.

Bayraktar!

I Killed Kenny

Quote from: Valmy on July 31, 2009, 05:39:39 PM
That looks like great casting so far.

The tough part is going to be Brandon Stark and the other kids.  Arya especially.

Edit: Ooops beaten out by Kenny.

IN YOUR FACE!!!1111oneone

saskganesh

Rickon has no pov in the books and later forgets how to talk so as a supporting actor, it really doesn't matter. just a child with a shaggy wolf.

will they age some of the kids? if  Arya is a teenager, she could have her own spin off series.
humans were created in their own image