How I Joined Teach for America—and Got Sued for $20 Million

Started by Savonarola, July 31, 2009, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Education is all about sorting the best people into the best schools, and eventually to the best jobs.  If some people choose to sort themselves into the worst, there isn't anything other people can do about it. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2009, 05:45:49 AM
Education is all about sorting the best people into the best schools, and eventually to the best jobs.  If some people choose to sort themselves into the worst, there isn't anything other people can do about it.

Maybe over there. In the US, it's about the greatest number of students getting the greatest possible grades. What you're talking about is the aim of vocational and technical schools here. Colleges dabble in it, because more prestige equals more money, but in the end, the Benjamins come from more students "succeeding," even if they have to redefine "success" in the process.

@Jaron: It's not that nuts. It's been noted several times in this thread that actual academic qualification has little to do with it now; if they're too stupid to pass on their own, throw points at 'em. If they can't function in the classroom, give 'em an IEP and baby tasks. They're not going to get people better at the test, they're just going to change the test so more people could be considered "passing."
Experience bij!

Berkut

Quote from: Jaron on August 01, 2009, 02:11:38 PM
The education system is BROKEN. Completely, utterly broken. Beyond salvage.

The teacher I used to work for and I would sat

Indeed it is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

swallow

Quotewhich emphasizes character education (and sits directly across a field from Emery), tells me that this charter school is quiet and orderly
This works.  I moved my kid to a school that does this and it has very good results.  Basically, every single kid is shown they are valued for their aspects of character that have allowed them to achieve whatever it is they achieve- either academic or other. It wobbles a bit when the children have to do SATs, because for the first time, the less academic children feel less valued and their behaviour and effort does falter a little, but basically, it allows the children to fly.

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 01, 2009, 02:27:13 PMYeah the requirements of NCLB are insane, Soviet industrial goals were more reasonable.
NCLB is an absolute train wreck... but any time politicians get involved in something they don't understand, you have shit like that happening, so no surprises there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on August 03, 2009, 10:07:52 AM
Quote from: Jaron on August 02, 2009, 03:12:06 AM
Aww, poor Jew can't read?

There are poor Jews? :unsure:
The cabal is not all nice and fluffy, you can get blackballed for certain acts of over-ethical behavior.

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2009, 05:45:49 AM

The problem with the situation described in the article though is that you had a lot of bright, capable kids (maybe even the best kids) who were denied any kind of meaningful education because of the system's inability to deal with the disruption of a few students.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jaron

The one thing I observed in public schools was the demise of true college prep.

When I was in high school, everyone in college prep classes had a fairly high level of achievement. There was no doubt they could do the work, it was a question of motivation.

The college prep classes I oversaw had such an unhealthy mix of ability levels. Some were extremely intelligent and really needed to be placed in an honors class, others were still struggling to grasp English. The idea seems to be if we put everyone in college prep classes, everyone will go to college.

But the actual execution ends up horrible. I went in optimistic about the whole thing, and it was very disappointing. If I sum up the advice I got, there are three ways to go about it.

1) Teach to the bottom. These are the kids who need you the most, and the other kids are bright enough to make the grade with little input from you.

2) Teach to the middle. The low end kids aren't going to make it anyway, the high end kids don't need you, and the middle ones are the only ones who really are in danger and thus need your attention.

3) Teach to the top: These are the kids going to college anyways, and the ones the classes are designed to help. They are enthusiastic to learn, have the ability, and care about their education.

And there is also the Ivory Tower University edition:

4) Teach to everyone! Make your lesson different for every student to access their individual levels of progress and need and everyone will succeed!

I'd like to believe that is true, but with 35+ students of such varying ability, actually executing lessons that consistently serve the top, middle and lower tiers of ability groups is foolhardy.

WTB: tracking and reform in American education.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Darth Wagtaros

What Jaron says has also been said by a number of teachers I know.  They are told by the state or local school system to tailor the curriculum (which is aimed at passing standardized tests) to suit every single student differently.  Meet all 35 kids' individual education needs.  They've actually been lectured on this by people who don't teach themselves.  Odd. 
PDH!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: swallow on August 03, 2009, 08:16:21 AM
This works.  I moved my kid to a school that does this and it has very good results.  Basically, every single kid is shown they are valued for their aspects of character that have allowed them to achieve whatever it is they achieve- either academic or other. It wobbles a bit when the children have to do SATs, because for the first time, the less academic children feel less valued and their behaviour and effort does falter a little, but basically, it allows the children to fly.
SATs?  Aren't you British?

Monoriu

Queequeg

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2009, 07:13:29 PM
In Hong Kong, we teach to the test :contract:
You'd think that the utter failure of tests on the Confucian Classics to produce excellent leaders in previous generations would raise doubts about the ability of standardized math tests to produce excellent leaders.   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on August 03, 2009, 07:26:26 PM
You'd think that the utter failure of tests on the Confucian Classics to produce excellent leaders in previous generations would raise doubts about the ability of standardized math tests to produce excellent leaders.   :huh:
But it's tradition!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: Queequeg on August 03, 2009, 07:26:26 PM

The point of the test isn't to produce excellent leaders.  It is to convince the masses that there exists a possible way to reach the top by hardwork.  Therefore, they are better off studying than planning revolts.