am I missing something here, or is this laptop a steal?

Started by Caliga, July 29, 2009, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I look forward to Tim posting a thread saying he is "in Korea" and everyone snickering and asking if Ide is aware.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 11:16:15 AM
I look forward to Tim posting a thread saying he is "in Korea" and everyone snickering and asking if Ide is aware.
Yeah, that'll be the best thing ever.

jimmy olsen

Good or not good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220569

I'll note that I own Cryisis and World in Conflict and may one day get the grpahic busting HOI3! :o
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I wouldn't buy anything for which there are not yet any reviews, even though the quality of user reviews tends to be fairly spotty.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2009, 03:06:57 PM
I wouldn't buy anything for which there are not yet any reviews, even though the quality of user reviews tends to be fairly spotty.

:huh:

Caliga

What?  I didn't see any reviews associated with that laptop.

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on September 08, 2009, 03:20:47 PM
What?  I didn't see any reviews associated with that laptop.

...which you wouldn't trust anyway, based on your other comment, so why do you care?

Barrister

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2009, 02:22:53 PM
Good or not good?

I'll note that I own Cryisis and World in Conflict and may one day get the grpahic busting HOI3! :o

I am sceptical of AMD/ATI based systems, and would tend to recommend Intel/NVidia.

If your big concern is video games however I'd try and research that 4870 vid card and see how good it is, as that will largely determine how effective that laptop is for a gaming machine.  It does seem pretty cheap to run games like Crysis at acceptable levels.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

"Tends to be fairly spotty."

I mean if there are 100 reviews saying the battery life sucks or the power connector always breaks off, then I think you need to take those seriously.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2009, 03:23:29 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2009, 02:22:53 PM
Good or not good?

I am sceptical of AMD/ATI based systems, and would tend to recommend Intel/NVidia.

If your big concern is video games however I'd try and research that 4870 vid card and see how good it is, as that will largely determine how effective that laptop is for a gaming machine.  It does seem pretty cheap to run games like Crysis at acceptable levels.

Looks okay.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4570.13885.0.html
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

jimmy olsen

Quote from: ulmont on September 08, 2009, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2009, 03:25:13 PM
Looks okay.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4570.13885.0.html

QuoteDemanding games like crysis only run in low-medium detail settings in decent frame rates.

Define "acceptable."
You have to have a freaking supercomputer to play Crysis at better than medium settings. The current computer I have (Nvidia GeFroce 8600GTS) plays it at medium and it looks amazing.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DisturbedPervert

Computer looks good for gaming.  Should run any game at good settings and fps until the next gen consoles come out.  Except maybe HoI3. 

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on July 29, 2009, 01:04:49 PM
:huh: Yes.  Not everyone has a CPU capable of running a 64 bit OS, believe it or not.  Yet, Micro$oft likes being able to sell their products to as many people as possible. :mellow:

Granted, my home desktop is on Vista 64, of course.

Granted.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Anyone know anything about ASUS? What kind of reputation do they have?

1 Karma Chameleon point