am I missing something here, or is this laptop a steal?

Started by Caliga, July 29, 2009, 12:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I can run Crusader Kings on Vista 64 with no problems, which I think says alot. :ph34r:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

There are none of them left, I was thinking of getting one to bring with me to Korea. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 10, 2009, 11:52:59 PM
There are none of them left, I was thinking of getting one to bring with me to Korea. :(

She won't be won over with your trinkets, fool. :ultra:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Caliga

I've noticed that Tiger Direct has a tendency to run out of shit faster than NewEgg (which is my normal vendor).  NewEgg didn't have that particular laptop, however.

One ghey thing about that laptop: doesn't qualify for a free Win 7 upgrade, for some odd reason.

DisturbedPervert

Buy one there.  Probably cheaper and it will have a Korean keyboard.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Iormlund on July 29, 2009, 01:03:13 PM
You mean Windows 7 will still have 32-bit versions? Seriously?  :lmfao:

Various Linux distros still have 32-bit versions, and will for a while.  As has already been pointed out, there are many legacy boxen out there.  Additionally, all of the Atom processors (except the high-end ones) are 32-bit chips, as are several other embedded processors.  Then are application compatibility issues.  Surprisingly, there is a lot of code out there that still isn't 64-bit clean, so owners of such code need a 32-bit OS running on 64-bit hardware next to a 64-bit OS in order to squish bugs in the 64-bit version.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 05:37:56 AM
I've noticed that Tiger Direct has a tendency to run out of shit faster than NewEgg (which is my normal vendor).  NewEgg didn't have that particular laptop, however.

One ghey thing about that laptop: doesn't qualify for a free Win 7 upgrade, for some odd reason.
:huh: That's virtually identical to the Toshiba Satellite I just picked up for my birthday, and that qualified. Is Acer participating in the upgrade program?
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

Watch you card charges with Tiger Direct. They used to have the rep for plinking extra shit on your credit card.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 11, 2009, 08:03:28 AM
Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 05:37:56 AM

:huh: That's virtually identical to the Toshiba Satellite I just picked up for my birthday, and that qualified. Is Acer participating in the upgrade program?
Yes, they are.  But when I logged onto their Win 7 upgrade site and entered the laptop serial number, it said "this model does not qualify for a free upgrade".  They had a list of models which qualify elsewhere on the site, and sure enough the model wasn't listed, even though dozens of similar models are.  :mad:

This might explain why the laptop was such a steal.  I'm not that concerned though, as it's not the primary PC for either one of us, so I'm going to have to buy Win 7 no matter what.

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on August 11, 2009, 08:10:18 AM
This might explain why the laptop was such a steal.  I'm not that concerned though, as it's not the primary PC for either one of us, so I'm going to have to buy Win 7 no matter what.

If you had pre-ordered early, you could've gotten the Win7 upgrade for $40-$50 :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2009, 09:44:33 AM
This a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115586

DP, I want it mostly so I can write home, I don't want a korean keyboard.

Ok.  But it would have English too.  If you change your mind you can buy stickers to put on your keys.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 11, 2009, 09:44:33 AM
This a good deal?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115586

DP, I want it mostly so I can write home, I don't want a korean keyboard.

Weight and battery life are pros, but everything else could be found in a $400-500 notebook, as opposed to a $550 netbook. You're paying for increased portability, but if you don't mind that, it sounds like a decent deal. Note also that the customer reviews highly recommend wiping the hard drive and using a clean OS install.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.